Miss Shirin Khanjani is a consultant gynaecologist and accredited subspecialist in reproductive medicine at University College London Hospital.
Miss Khanjani has trained at Imperial College where she obtained her PhD, was a clinical lecturer and completed sub-specialist training in reproductive medicine.
She is passionate about looking after couples who experience conception delays and difficulties. She has a keen interest in management of moderate and severe premenstrual syndrome as well as perimenopausal and menopausal symptoms.
Alongside her clinical work, Miss Khanjani is an honorary associate professor at University College London and has published scientific articles and book chapters and has presented her work internationally.
Identifying bio markers associated with successful conception
- Khanjani S, Panay N. Vaginal Estrogen Deficiency. The Obstetrician and Gynecologist. 20 November 2018. https://doi.org/10.1111/tog.12539.
- Owens LA, Abbara A, Lerner A, O'floinn S, Christopoulos G, Khanjani S, Islam R, Hardy K, Hanyaloglu A, Lavery SA, Dhillo WS, Franks S. The direct and indirect effects of kisspeptin-54 on granulosa lutein cell function. Hum Reprod. 2018 Feb 1;33(2):292-302. Doi:10.1093/humrep/dex357.
- Shirin Khanjani, Tia Hunjan, Stuart Lavery. Does catheter type influence endometrial implantation success? in chapter of the book 'KOVACS & SALAMONSEN: How to Prepare the Endometrium to Maximize Implantation Rates & IVF' (Cambridge University Press). Epub January 2019.
- Christoph Brezinka, Shirin Khanjani. ART and fetal growth in chapter of the book 'Placental Fetal Growth Restriction' (Cambridge University Press). Epub January 2018.
- Khanjani S, Terzidou V, Johnson MR, Bennett PR. NFKB and AP-1 Drive Human Myometrial IL8 Expression. Mediators Inflamm. 2012;2012:504952. Epub 2012 May 22.
- Sykes L, Lee Y, Khanjani S, Macintyre DA, Yap XJ, Ponnampalam S, Teoh TG, Bennett PR. Chemoattractant receptor homologous to the T helper 2 cell (CRTH2) is not expressed in human amniocytes and myocytes. PLoS One. 2012;7(11): e50734. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0050734. Epub 2012 Nov 30.
- Lim S, MacIntyre DA, Lee YS, Khanjani S, Terzidou V, Teoh TG, Bennett PR. Nuclear factor kappa B activation occurs in the amnion prior to labour onset and modulates the expression of numerous labour associated genes. PLoS One. 2012;7(4):e34707. Epub 2012 Apr 2.
- Lei K, Chen L, Georgiou EX, Sooranna SR, Khanjani S, Brosens JJ, Bennett PR, Johnson MR. Progesterone acts via the nuclear glucocorticoid receptor to suppress IL-1β-induced COX-2 expression in human term myometrial cells. PLoS One. 2012;7(11): e50167. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0050167. Epub 2012 Nov 28.
- Khanjani S, Kandola MK, Lindstrom TM, Sooranna SR, Melchionda M, Lee YS, Terzidou V, Johnson MR, Bennett PR. NF-κB regulates a cassette of immune/inflammatory genes in human pregnant myometrium at term. J Cell Mol Med. 2011 Apr;15(4):809-24. doi: 10.1111/j.1582-4934.2010.01069.x.
- Khanjani S, Lee YS, Thornton S, Terzidou V, Johnson MR, Bennett PR. Synergistic Regulation of Human Oxytocin Receptor Promoter by CCAAT/ Enhancer-Binding Protein and RELA. Biol Reprod. 2011 Nov;85(5):1083-8. Epub 2011 Jul 6.
- Shirin Khanjani, Marwa K. Al-Sabbagh, Luca Fusi and Jan J. Brosens. Role of Steroid Hormones: Progesterone Signaling. Endometriosis; science and practice, Wileys publishing, 2011.
- Tattersall M, Engineer N, Khanjani S, Sooranna SR, Roberts VH, Grigsby PL, et al. Pro-labour myometrial gene expression: are preterm labour and term labour the same? Reproduction 2008;135(4):569-79
- Liang Z, Sooranna SR, Engineer N, Tattersall M, Khanjani S, Bennett PR, et al. Prostaglandin F2-alpha receptor regulation in human uterine myocytes. Mol Hum Reproduction 2008;14(4):215-23.
- Burdens and Awareness of Adverse Self-Reported Lifestyle Factors in Men With Sub-Fertility: A Cross-Sectional Study in 1149 Men Channa N Jayasena , Aditi Sharma, Ali Abbara , Rong Luo , Christopher J White , Sophie G Hoskin , Shirin Khanjani , Mike J Crawford , Jonathan W Ramsay , Sukhbinder Minhas , Waljit S Dhillo Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2020 May 3. doi: 10.1111/cen.14213.