Mr Russo is a neurosurgeon specialised in complex reconstructive spinal surgery for spinal tumours, complex degenerative spinal conditions of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine; spinal Infection, complex revision spinal surgery, spinal trauma and spinal deformity.
He is dually trained in spinal neurosurgery and orthopaedic spinal surgery. Following the neurosurgical training, he completed a post-CCT fellowship in USA, followed by three years of advanced complex spinal orthopaedic deformity fellowships in UK.
He has been a consultant spinal neurosurgeon in the NHS since 2012.
Surgical anatomy and approaches
- Ferroli P, Russo A, Albanese E, Tringali G, Broggi G: Gravity-aided transfalcine removal of a contralateral subcortical ependymoma. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2007 Nov;149(11):1147-50;
- Ulm A.J, Fautheree G.L, Tanriover N, Russo A., Albanese E, Rhoton A.L, Mericle R, Lewis S: Microsurgical and Angiographic Anatomy of Middle Cerebral Artery Aneurysms: Prevalence and significance of early branch aneurysms. Neurosurgery, volume 62, Supplement (Operative Neurosurgery 2) May 2008, ONS 344-353.
- Ulm A.J, Russo A, Albanese E, Tanriover N, Martins C, Mericle R, Pincus D, Rhoton A: Quantification of the Transcallosal Transchoroidal Approach to the Third Ventricle. Journal of Neurosurgery 2009 Sep; 111 (3): 600-9.
- Albanese E, Russo A, Ulm AJ: Fenestrated Vertebro-basilar junction aneurysm: diagnostic and therapeutic considerations. Case report. Journal of Neurosurgery, 110:525-529, 2009
- Russo A, Albanese E, Quiroga M, Ulm AJ. Submandibular approach to C2-C3 disc: microsurgical anatomy with clinical application. Journal of Neurosurgery (Spine), 10: 380-389, 2009
- Simon SD, Ulm AJ, Russo A, Albanese E, Mericle RA: distal intracranial catheterization of patients with tortuous vascular anatomy using a new hybrid guide catheter. Surgical neurology 2009 December 72 (6) 737-40
- Albanese E, Russo A, Quiroga M, Willis RN Jr, Mericle RA, Ulm AJ: Ultra high-dose intra-arterial infusion of Verapamil through an in dwelling microcatheter for medically refractory severe vasospasm. Clinical article". Journal of Neurosurgery 113:913-922, 2010
- Ulm AJ, Quiroga M, Russo A, Russo V, Graziano F, Velasquez A, Albanese E: Normal anatomical variations of the V3 segment of the vertebral artery: surgical implications. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine 13: 451-460, 2010
- Russo VM, Graziano F, Russo A, Albanese E, Ulm AJ: High anterior cervical approach to the Clivus and foramen magnum: a microsurgical anatomy study. Neurosurgery 2011 Sep; 69 Suppl Operative:ons103-16
- Russo V, Graziano F, Quiroga M, Russo A, Albanese E, Ulm AJ: Minimally Invasive Supracondylar Transtubercular (MIST) approach to the lower clivus: A microsurgical anatomy study. World Neurosurgery 2012 May-Jun;77(5-6):704-12
- Graziano F, Russo V, Russo A, Albanese E, Quiroga M, Ulm AJ: Microsurgical anatomy of the Far-lateral approach and its transcondylar and supracondylar extensions. Journal of Neurosurgical Review JNR 2011; 1 (1): 3-15
- Russo V, Graziano F, Celda MP, Russo A, Ulm AJ: The V2 segment of the vertebral artery: anatomical considerations and surgical implications. Laboratory investigation. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine 2011 Dec;15(6):610-9
- Russo A, Balamurali G, Nowicki R, Boszczyk BM: Anterior thoracic foraminotomy through mini-thoracotomy for the treatment of giant thoracic disc herniations. European Spine Journal 2012 21 S212-220
- Khurana A, Brousil J, Russo A, Evans A, Quraishi N, Boszczyk B: intracranial hypotension with a sixth cranial nerve palsy subsequent to massive thoracic CSF hygroma-a rare complication of thoracic disc excision. European spine journal (2013) 22:2047-2054.
- Russo. A: Expert's comment concerning Grand Rounds case entitled “Subarachnoidal pleural fistula after resection of intradural thoracic disc herniation and multimodal treatment with noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV)”. European spine journal 2016 25(1), 160-161
- S Dheerendra, R. Bailey, S. Dodd, M. McGowan, R. Popa, P. Annis, S. Thambiraj, A. Russo, M. DeMatas. Management of metastatic spinal cord compression in a University Teaching Hospital. The Spine Journal 16 (2016) S72-S93
- Y. Chen, P. Annis, M. Shaikh, A. Russo. M. DeMatas: Observed changes with intraoperative spinal cord monitoring during kyphosis correction with 3 column osteotomies. The Spine Journal 16 (2016) S72-S93
- Al-TaminiM, Krovvidi H, Ellahee P, Russo A. Anaesthesia management for an adult patient with methylmalonic aciduria undergoing complex spinal surgery. The Journal of Neurosurgical anesthesiology. October 2017. Volume 29, number 4
- Arshad M.A, Russo A, Krovvidi H. Metastatic spinal disease. January 2018. World federation of societies of anaesthesiologists.
- Afshari F, Choi D, Russo A. Controversies regarding mobilisation and rehabilitation following acute spinal cord injury. British Journal of Neurosurgery