Mr Russo is a consultant spinal neurosurgeon specialising in complex spinal reconstructive surgery. He has been a consultant in the NHS since 2012. His NHS practice is based at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery Queen Square, University College Hospitals London, UK. He is a core member of the London sarcoma multidisciplinary Team.
Mr Russo is dual trained in orthopaedic spine surgery and neurosurgical spine surgery. Following his neurosurgical training, he successfully completed advanced spinal surgery fellowships in prestigious centres in the USA, UK and Japan.
Mr Russo performs complex anterior, anterolateral, posterolateral and posterior approaches, decompression of the spinal cord and nerve roots and reconstruction of the spine from the occiput to the pelvis.
Mr Russo's special interests include:
- tumours of the spine: extradural spinal tumours, bone tumours of the spine, paravertebral tumours, intradural spinal tumours, spinal metastasis
- complex cervical spine surgery
- reconstructive surgery for adult spinal deformity (scoliosis, kyphosis) of the lumbar spine, cervical spine and thoracic spine
- revision complex spinal reconstruction surgery (operations for patients with failed previous spinal surgery)
- anterior reconstruction of the spine (cervical and thoracolumbar spine)
- lumbo-pelvic spinal reconstruction
- primary spinal infection like spinal tuberculosis, spinal osteomyelitis and discitis requiring complex spinal reconstruction
- spinal trauma causing chronic spinal deformity
- complex degenerative conditions of the spine.
Surgical anatomy and approaches
- Ferroli P, Russo A, Albanese E, Tringali G, Broggi G: Gravity-aided transfalcine removal of a contralateral subcortical ependymoma. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2007 Nov;149(11):1147-50;
- Ulm A.J, Fautheree G.L, Tanriover N, Russo A., Albanese E, Rhoton A.L, Mericle R, Lewis S: Microsurgical and Angiographic Anatomy of Middle Cerebral Artery Aneurysms: Prevalence and significance of early branch aneurysms. Neurosurgery, volume 62, Supplement (Operative Neurosurgery 2) May 2008, ONS 344-353.
- Ulm A.J, Russo A, Albanese E, Tanriover N, Martins C, Mericle R, Pincus D, Rhoton A: Quantification of the Transcallosal Transchoroidal Approach to the Third Ventricle. Journal of Neurosurgery 2009 Sep; 111 (3): 600-9.
- Albanese E, Russo A, Ulm AJ: Fenestrated Vertebro-basilar junction aneurysm: diagnostic and therapeutic considerations. Case report. Journal of Neurosurgery, 110:525-529, 2009
- Russo A, Albanese E, Quiroga M, Ulm AJ. Submandibular approach to C2-C3 disc: microsurgical anatomy with clinical application. Journal of Neurosurgery (Spine), 10: 380-389, 2009
- Simon SD, Ulm AJ, Russo A, Albanese E, Mericle RA: distal intracranial catheterization of patients with tortuous vascular anatomy using a new hybrid guide catheter. Surgical neurology 2009 December 72 (6) 737-40
- Albanese E, Russo A, Quiroga M, Willis RN Jr, Mericle RA, Ulm AJ: Ultra high-dose intra-arterial infusion of Verapamil through an in dwelling microcatheter for medically refractory severe vasospasm. Clinical article". Journal of Neurosurgery 113:913-922, 2010
- Ulm AJ, Quiroga M, Russo A, Russo V, Graziano F, Velasquez A, Albanese E: Normal anatomical variations of the V3 segment of the vertebral artery: surgical implications. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine 13: 451-460, 2010
- Russo VM, Graziano F, Russo A, Albanese E, Ulm AJ: High anterior cervical approach to the Clivus and foramen magnum: a microsurgical anatomy study. Neurosurgery 2011 Sep; 69 Suppl Operative:ons103-16
- Russo V, Graziano F, Quiroga M, Russo A, Albanese E, Ulm AJ: Minimally Invasive Supracondylar Transtubercular (MIST) approach to the lower clivus: A microsurgical anatomy study. World Neurosurgery 2012 May-Jun;77(5-6):704-12
- Graziano F, Russo V, Russo A, Albanese E, Quiroga M, Ulm AJ: Microsurgical anatomy of the Far-lateral approach and its transcondylar and supracondylar extensions. Journal of Neurosurgical Review JNR 2011; 1 (1): 3-15
- Russo V, Graziano F, Celda MP, Russo A, Ulm AJ: The V2 segment of the vertebral artery: anatomical considerations and surgical implications. Laboratory investigation. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine 2011 Dec;15(6):610-9
- Russo A, Balamurali G, Nowicki R, Boszczyk BM: Anterior thoracic foraminotomy through mini-thoracotomy for the treatment of giant thoracic disc herniations. European Spine Journal 2012 21 S212-220
- Khurana A, Brousil J, Russo A, Evans A, Quraishi N, Boszczyk B: intracranial hypotension with a sixth cranial nerve palsy subsequent to massive thoracic CSF hygroma-a rare complication of thoracic disc excision. European spine journal (2013) 22:2047-2054.
- Russo. A: Expert's comment concerning Grand Rounds case entitled “Subarachnoidal pleural fistula after resection of intradural thoracic disc herniation and multimodal treatment with noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV)”. European spine journal 2016 25(1), 160-161
- S Dheerendra, R. Bailey, S. Dodd, M. McGowan, R. Popa, P. Annis, S. Thambiraj, A. Russo, M. DeMatas. Management of metastatic spinal cord compression in a University Teaching Hospital. The Spine Journal 16 (2016) S72-S93
- Y. Chen, P. Annis, M. Shaikh, A. Russo. M. DeMatas: Observed changes with intraoperative spinal cord monitoring during kyphosis correction with 3 column osteotomies. The Spine Journal 16 (2016) S72-S93
- Al-TaminiM, Krovvidi H, Ellahee P, Russo A. Anaesthesia management for an adult patient with methylmalonic aciduria undergoing complex spinal surgery. The Journal of Neurosurgical anesthesiology. October 2017. Volume 29, number 4
- Arshad M.A, Russo A, Krovvidi H. Metastatic spinal disease. January 2018. World federation of societies of anaesthesiologists.
- Afshari F, Choi D, Russo A. Controversies regarding mobilisation and rehabilitation following acute spinal cord injury. British Journal of Neurosurgery