Mr. Sujith Konan is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon with a special interest in hip and knee surgery. He is also an honorary associate professor at University College London.
He completed basic surgical training in the UK, becoming a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons [MRCS (Eng)] in 2006. Following this he undertook a two-year post-graduate research degree [MD (res)] in orthopaedic biomedical Engineering at University College London.
His higher specialist training in orthopaedics was on the University College Hospital rotations, achieving a fellowship of the Royal College of surgeons in trauma and orthopaedic surgery [FRCS (Tr&Orth) in 2013.
Mr. Konan enhanced his skills and training further by undertaking prestigious fellowships in North America, USA and Europe; including a year (2014) in Vancouver followed by visiting fellowships (2015) to Paris, Dresden, Bern, Munich & Zurich and USA (2017).
He has gained several prizes, scholarships and awards and been awarded travelling fellowships by British Orthopaedic Association, British Hip Society, BJJ-EFFORT society (Mark Patterson travelling fellowship) in 2015 and (Rothman-Ranawat travelling fellowship) in 2017.
He has a high volume clinical practice that focuses on all aspects of hip and knee surgery including hip and knee arthroscopy, reconstructions for sports injury, hip and knee replacements and revision hip and knee surgery.
Mr. Konan has published extensively in orthopaedic journals and textbooks on several aspects of hip and knee research.
He has also presented widely on several clinical and research topics in national and international meetings. He is committed to pursue clinical, translational and laboratory based research alongside a busy surgical practice, ultimately focusing on improving patient care.
A select list of publications can be found below:
- Podmore B, Hutchings A, Konan S, van der Meulen J. The agreement between chronic diseases reported by patients and derived from administrative data in patients undergoing joint arthroplasty. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2019 Apr 24;19(1):87.
- Hossain F, Konan S, Kayani B, Kontoghiorghe C, Barrack T, Sami Haddad F. Early Clinical and Radiological Outcomes of the Metaphyseally Fixed Totally Stabilized Knee Prosthesis in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Knee Surg. 2019 Apr 8.
- Kayani B, Konan S, Thakrar RR, Huq SS, Haddad FS. Assuring the long-term total joint arthroplasty: a triad of variables. Bone Joint J. 2019 Jan;101-B(1_Supple_A):11-18.
- Kayani B, Konan S, Tahmassebi J, Rowan FE, Haddad FS. Infographic: Robotics are guiding arthroplasties to less pain and faster recovery. Bone Joint J. 2019 Jan;101-B(1):22-23.
- Kayani B, Konan S, Tahmassebi J, Rowan FE, Haddad FS. An assessment of early functional rehabilitation and hospital discharge in conventional versus robotic-arm assisted unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: a prospective cohort study. Bone Joint J. 2019 Jan;101-B(1):24-33.
- Haddad FS, Oussedik S, Meek RMD, Konan S, Stockley I, Gant V. Orthopaedic infection: is consensus the answer. Bone Joint J. 2018 Nov;100-B(11):1405-1406.
- Anemüller R, Belden K, Brause B, Citak M, Del Pozo JL, Frommelt L, Gehrke T, Hewlett A, Higuera CA, Hughes H, Kheir M, Kim KI, Konan S, Lausmann C, Marculescu C, Morata L, Ramirez I, Rossmann M, Silibovsky R, Soriano A, Suh GA, Vogely C, Volpin A, Yombi J, Zahar A, Zimmerli W. Hip and Knee Section, Treatment, Antimicrobials: Proceedings of International Consensus on Orthopedic Infections. J Arthroplasty. 2019 Feb;34(2S):S463-S475.
- Podmore B, Hutchings A, Durand MA, Robson J, Konan S, van der Meulen J, Lynch R. Comorbidities and the referral pathway to access joint replacement surgery: an exploratory qualitative study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Oct 3;18(1):754.
- Kayani B, Konan S, Huq SS, Tahmassebi J, Haddad FS. Robotic-arm assisted total knee arthroplasty has a learning curve of seven cases for integration into the surgical workflow but no learning curve effect for accuracy of implant positioning. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2019 Apr;27(4):1132-1141.
- Kayani B, Konan S, Pietrzak JRT, Huq SS, Tahmassebi J, Haddad FS. The learning curve associated with robotic-arm assisted unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: a prospective cohort study. Bone Joint J. 2018 Aug;100-B(8):1033-1042.
- Podmore B, Hutchings A, van der Meulen J, Aggarwal A, Konan S. Impact of comorbid conditions on outcomes of hip and knee replacement surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2018 Jul 11;8(7):e021784.
- Kayani B, Konan S, Tahmassebi J, Pietrzak JRT, Haddad FS. Robotic-arm assisted total knee arthroplasty is associated with improved early functional recovery and reduced time to hospital discharge compared with conventional jig-based total knee arthroplasty: a prospective cohort study. Bone Joint J. 2018 Jul;100-B(7):930-937.
- Diamond OJ, Konan S, Greidanus NV, Garbuz DS, Duncan CP, Masri BS. An Early Report of the Use of a Modular Dual Mobility Articulation in Revision Acetabular Reconstruction. J Arthroplasty. 2018 Sep;33(9):2961-2966.
- Kayani B, Konan S, Pietrzak JRT, Haddad FS. Iatrogenic Bone and Soft Tissue Trauma in Robotic-Arm Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty Compared With Conventional Jig-Based Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Prospective Cohort Study and Validation of a New Classification System. J Arthroplasty. 2018 Aug;33(8):2496-2501.
- Volpin A, Konan S, Biz C, Tansey RJ, Haddad FS. Reconstruction of failed acetabular component in the presence of severe acetabular bone loss: a systematic review. Musculoskelet Surg. 2019 Apr;103(1):1-13.
- Maden C, Robbins A, Volpin A, Biz C, Konan S. Outcome of surgical management of stress fractures in high demand individuals. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2018 Jan 2;79(1):26-30.
- Konan S, Duncan CP. Total hip arthroplasty in patients with neuromuscular imbalance. Bone Joint J. 2018 Jan;100-B(1 Supple A):17-21.
- Kayani B, Pietrzak J, Donaldson MJ, Konan S, Haddad FS. Treatment of limb length discrepancy following total hip arthroplasty. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2017 Nov 2;78(11):633-637.
- Konan S, Maden C, Robbins A. Robotic surgery in hip and knee arthroplasty. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2017 Jul 2;78(7):378-384.
- Kayani B, Pietrzak J, Hossain FS, Konan S, Haddad FS. Prevention of limb length discrepancy in total hip arthroplasty. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2017 Jul 2;78(7):385-390.
- Radha S, Shenouda M, Konan S, Lavelle J, Church S. Successful Treatment of Painful Synchondrosis of Bipartite Patella after Direct Trauma by Operative Fixation: A Series of Six Cases. Open Orthop J. 2017 May 17;11:390-396.
- Meermans G, Konan S, Das R, Volpin A, Haddad FS. The direct anterior approach in total hip arthroplasty: a systematic review of the literature. Bone Joint J. 2017 Jun;99-B(6):732-740.
- Hossain F, Konan S, Volpin A, Haddad FS. Early performance-based and patient-reported outcomes of a contemporary taper fit bone-conserving short stem femoral component in total hip arthroplasty. Bone Joint J. 2017 Apr;99-B(4 Supple B):49-55.
- Konan S, Duncan CP, Masri BA, Garbuz DS. The cup-cage reconstruction for pelvic discontinuity has encouraging patient satisfaction and functional outcome at median 6-year follow-up. Hip Int. 2017 Sep 19;27(5):509-513.
- Tahami M, Haddad B, Abtahian A, Hashemi A, Aminian A, Konan S. Potential Role of Local Estrogen in Enhancement of Fracture Healing: Preclinical Study in Rabbits. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2016 Oct;4(4):323-329.
- Konan S, Garbuz DS, Masri BA, Duncan CP. The Outcomes Following Revision of Monoblock Metal on Metal Acetabular Components for Painful Micromotion in the Absence of Adverse Local Tissue Reaction to Metal. J Arthroplasty. 2017 Mar;32(3):915-918.
- Konan S, Sandiford N, Unno F, Masri BS, Garbuz DS, Duncan CP. Periprosthetic fractures associated with total knee arthroplasty: an update. Bone Joint J. 2016 Nov;98-B(11):1489-1496.
- Konan S, Haddad FS. Does location of patellofemoral chondral lesion influence outcome after Oxford medial compartmental knee arthroplasty? Bone Joint J. 2016 Oct;98-B(10 Supple B):11-15.
- Konan S, Haddad FS. Midterm Outcome of Avon Patellofemoral Arthroplasty for Posttraumatic Unicompartmental Osteoarthritis. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Dec;31(12):2657-2659.
- Konan S, Duncan CP, Masri BS, Garbuz DS. What Is the Natural History of Asymptomatic Pseudotumors in Metal-on-metal THAs at Mid-term Followup? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017 Feb;475(2):433-441.
- Konan S, Duncan CP, Masri BA, Garbuz DS. Porous tantalum uncemented acetabular components in revision total hip arthroplasty: a minimum ten-year clinical, radiological and quality of life outcome study. Bone Joint J. 2016 Jun;98-B(6):767-71.
- Marsland D, Konan S, Eleftheriou K, Calder J, Elliot RR. Fusion of the First Metatarsophalangeal Joint: Precontoured or Straight Plate? J Foot Ankle Surg.2016 May-Jun;55(3):509-12.
- Konan S, Garbuz DS, Masri BA, Duncan CP. Modular tapered titanium stems in revision arthroplasty of the hip: The Risk and Causes of Stem Fracture. Bone Joint J. 2016 Jan;98-B(1 Suppl A):50-3.
- Whitehouse MR, Parry MC, Konan S, Duncan CP. Deep infection after hip arthroplasty: staying current with change. Bone Joint J. 2016 Jan;98-B(1 Suppl A):27-30.
- Buchan LL, Zhang H, Konan S, Heaslip I, Ratzlaff CR, Wilson DR. Open-MRI measures of cam intrusion for hips in an anterior impingement position relate to acetabular contact force. J Orthop Res. 2016 Feb;34(2):205-16.
- Ghani Y, Thakrar RR, Palmer J, Konan S, Donaldson J, Olivier A, Gikas P, Briggs T. Undergraduate and foundation training in trauma and orthopaedics: junior doctors have their say. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2015 Jul;76(7):415-9.
- George DA, Konan S, Haddad FS. Single-Stage Hip and Knee Exchange for Periprosthetic Joint Infection. J Arthroplasty. 2015 Dec;30(12):2264-70.
- Haddad FS, Konan S, Tahmassebi J. A prospective comparative study of cementless total hip arthroplasty and hip resurfacing in patients under the age of 55 years: a ten-year follow-up. Bone Joint J. 2015 May;97-B(5):617-22.
- Rayan F, Nanjayan SK, Quah C, Ramoutar D, Konan S, Haddad FS. Review of evolution of tunnel position in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. World J Orthop. 2015 Mar 18;6(2):252-62.
- Konan S, Duncan CP, Garbuz DS, Masri BA. The Role of Dual-mobility Cups in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Instr Course Lect. 2015;64:347-57.
- Hossain FS, Konan S, Patel S, Rodriguez-Merchan EC, Haddad FS. The assessment of outcome after total knee arthroplasty: are we there yet? Bone Joint J. 2015 Jan;97-B(1):3-9.
- Konan S, Garbuz DS, Masri BA, Duncan CP. Non-modular tapered fluted titanium stems in hip revision surgery: gaining attention. Bone Joint J. 2014 Nov;96-B(11 Supple A):56-9.
- Konan S, Hossain F, Patel S, Haddad FS. Measuring function after hip and knee surgery: the evidence to support performance-based functional outcome tasks. Bone Joint J. 2014 Nov;96-B(11):1431-5.
Hayat Z, Konan S, Olivier A, Briggs TW. Isolated tuberculosis of the calcaneum in a constitutionally well patient. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Oct 13;2014.
- Nikiphorou E, Konan S, MacGregor AJ, Haddad FS, Young A. The surgical treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: a new era? Bone Joint J. 2014 Oct;96-B(10):1287-9.
- MacFarlane RJ, Konan S, El-Huseinny M, Haddad FS. A review of outcomes of the surgical management of femoroacetabular impingement. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2014 Jul;96(5):331-8.
- Hayat Z, Konan S, Pollock R. Ischiofemoral impingement resulting from a chronic avulsion injury of the hamstrings. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Jun 25;2014.
- Haddad B, Konan S, Haddad FS. Debridement versus re-attachment of acetabular labral tears: A review of the literature and quantitative analysis. Bone Joint J. 2014 Jan;96-B(1):24-30.
- Konan S, Haddad FS. Joint Registries: a Ptolemaic model of data interpretation? Bone Joint J. 2013 Dec;95-B(12):1585-6.
- Ruston J, Konan S, Rubinraut E, Sorene E. Diagnostic accuracy of clinical examination and magnetic resonance imaging for common articular wrist pathology. Acta Orthop Belg. 2013 Aug;79(4):375-80.
- Konan S, Tahmassebi J, Haddad FS. The development and validation of a more discriminating functional hip score for research. HSS J. 2012 Oct;8(3):198-205.
- Haddad FS, Konan S. Femoroacetabular impingement: not just a square peg in a round hole. Bone Joint J. 2013 Oct;95-B(10):1297-8.
- Opel S, Konan S, Sorene E. Corrective distal radius osteotomy following fracture malunion using a fixed-angle volar locking plate. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2014 May;39(4):431-5.
- Khan Y, Konan S, Sorene E. Revision of a failed Swanson arthroplasty to a total wrist replacement restores wrist function and movements. J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2014 Apr;48(2):136-8.
- Radha S, Shenouda M, Hazlerigg A, Konan S, Hulme A. Fractured inferior pubic ramus with ipsilateral total hip replacement: a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Orthop. 2013;2013:674732.
- Konan S, Zang TT, Tamimi N, Haddad FS. Can the Ottawa and Pittsburgh rules reduce requests for radiography in patients referred to acute knee clinics? Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2013 Apr;95(3):188-91.
- Konan S, Das A, Taylor E, Sorene E. Distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis in extension using a headless compressive screw. Acta Orthop Belg. 2013 Apr;79(2):154-8.
- Haddad B, Makki D, Konan S, Park D, Khan W, Okafor B. Dynesys dynamic stabilization: less good outcome than lumbar fusion at 4-year follow-up. Acta Orthop Belg. 2013 Feb;79(1):97-103.
- Konan S, Soler A, Haddad FS. Revision hip replacement in patients 55 years of age and younger. Hip Int. 2013 Mar-Apr;23(2):162-5.
- Sarraf KM, Konan S, Pastides PS, Haddad FS, Oussedik S. Bone loss during revision of unicompartmental to total knee arthroplasty: an analysis of implanted polyethylene thickness from the National Joint Registry data. J Arthroplasty. 2013 Oct;28(9):1571-4.
- Haddad B, Konan S, Mannan K, Scott G. Evaluation of the posterior tibial slope on MR images in different population groups using the tibial proximal anatomical axis. Acta Orthop Belg. 2012 Dec;78(6):757-63.
- Haddad B, Haddad B, Konan S, Adesida A, Khan WS. A systematic review of tissue engineered meniscus and replacement strategies: preclinical models. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013 May;8(3):232-42. Review.
- Haddad B, Pakravan AH, Konan S, Adesida A, Khan W. A systematic review of tissue engineered meniscus: cell-based preclinical models. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013 May;8(3):222-31.
- Coathup MJ, Kalia P, Konan S, Mirza K, Blunn GW. A comparison of allogeneic and autologous mesenchymal stromal cells and osteoprogenitor cells in augmenting bone formation around massive bone tumor prostheses. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2013 Aug;101(8):2210-8.
- Penney N, Konan S, Hulme A. A rare combination of rare conditions: Salmonella septic sacroiliitis and hepatitis. BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Dec 5;2012.
- Shariq O, Radha S, Konan S. Common peroneal nerve schwannoma: an unusual differential for a symptomatic knee lump. BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Dec 3;2012.
- Hossain FS, Patel S, Fernandez MA, Konan S, Haddad FS. A performance based patient outcome score for active patients following total knee arthroplasty. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013 Jan;21(1):51-9.
- Konan S, Meswania J, Blunn GW, Madhav RT, Oddy MJ. Mechanical stability of a locked step-plate versus single compression screw fixation for medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy. Foot Ankle Int. 2012 Aug;33(8):669-74.
- Radha SS, Caplan N, St Clair Gibson A, Shenouda M, Konan S, Kader D. Can patients really make an informed choice? An evaluation of the availability of online information about consultant surgeons in the United Kingdom. BMJ Open. 2012 Aug 23;2(4). pii: e001203.
- Kumar S, Konan S, Oddy MJ, Madhav RT. Basal medial opening wedge first metatarsal osteotomy stabilized with a low profile wedge plate. Acta Orthop Belg. 2012 Jun;78(3):362-8.
- Radha S, Vaghela KR, Konan S, Radford W. Polysling skin pressure necrosis--a complication of shoulder immobilisation. BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Jul 19;2012. pii: bcr2012006671.
- Haddad BZ, Konan S, McAuliffe TB. Successful fixation of an intertrochanteric fracture after hip resurfacing arthroplasty using cannulated screws. J Arthroplasty. 2013 Jan;28(1):197.e13-6.
- Oussedik S, Konan S, Haddad F. Study lacks rigour to determine choice of hip resurfacing or arthroplasty. BMJ. 2012 May 28;344:e3667; author reply e3672.
- Haddad FS, Konan S. Current controversies in hip surgery: a report on the proceedings of the London Hip Meeting 2011. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012 Mar;94(3):297-301.
- Konan S, Rayan F, Manketelow AR, Haddad FS. The use of interlocking prostheses for both temporary and definitive management of infected periprosthetic femoral fractures. J Arthroplasty. 2011 Dec;26(8):1332-7.
- Konan S, Rhee SJ, Haddad FS. Hip arthroscopy: analysis of a single surgeon's learning experience. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 May;93 Suppl 2:52-6.
- Elvey MH, Konan S, House CV, Patel RV. Horizontal cleavage tear of discoid medial meniscus diagnosed on MRI and treated with arthroscopic partial resection. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2011 Nov;19(11):1860-7.
- Konan S, Rayan F, Meermans G, Witt J, Haddad FS. Validation of the classification system for acetabular chondral lesions identified at arthroscopy in patients with femoroacetabular impingement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011 Mar;93(3):332-6.
- Meermans G, Konan S, Haddad FS, Witt JD. Prevalence of acetabular cartilage lesions and labral tears in femoroacetabular impingement. Acta Orthop Belg. 2010 Apr;76(2):181-8.
- Konan S, Rayan F, Meermans G, Geurts J, Haddad FS. Preoperative digital templating of Birmingham hip resurfacing. Hip Int. 2010 Jan-Mar;20(1):14-7.
- Rayan F, Konan S, Haddad FS. Uncemented revision hip arthroplasty in B2 and B3 periprosthetic femoral fractures - A prospective analysis. Hip Int. 2010 Jan-Mar;20(1):38-42.
- Rawal JS, Soler JA, Rhee JS, Dobson MH, Konan S, Haddad FS. Modification of the explant system for the removal of well fixed hip resurfacing sockets. J Arthroplasty. 2010 Oct;25(7):1170.e7-9.
- Konan S, Rayan F, Haddad FS. Is the frog lateral plain radiograph a reliable predictor of the alpha angle in femoroacetabular impingement? J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010 Jan;92(1):47-50.
- Konan S, Haddad FS. Femoral fracture following knee ligament reconstruction surgery due to an unpredictable complication of bioabsorbable screw fixation: a case report and review of literature. J Orthop Traumatol. 2010 Mar;11(1):51-5.
- Konan S, Haddad FS. Outcomes of meniscal preservation using all-inside meniscus repair devices. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010 May;468(5):1209-13.
- Kalia P, Coathup MJ, Oussedik S, Konan S, Dodd M, Haddad FS, Blunn GW. Augmentation of bone growth onto the acetabular cup surface using bone marrow stromal cells in total hip replacement surgery. Tissue Eng Part A. 2009 Dec;15(12):3689-96.
- Konan S, Rhee SJ, Haddad FS. Total hip arthroplasty for displaced fracture of the femoral neck using size 32 mm femoral head and soft tissue repair after a posterior approach. Hip Int. 2009 Jan-Mar;19(1):30-5.
- Konan S, Rayan F, Haddad FS. Do physical diagnostic tests accurately detect meniscal tears? Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009 Jul;17(7):806-11.
- Konan S, Haddad F. Successful return to high level sports following early surgical repair of complete tears of the proximal hamstring tendons. Int Orthop. 2010 Feb;34(1):119-23.
- Konan S, Haddad FS. The unpredictable material properties of bioabsorbable PLC interference screws and their adverse effects in ACL reconstruction surgery. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009 Mar;17(3):293-7.
- Konan S, Haddad FS. A clinical review of bioabsorbable interference screws and their adverse effects in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery. Knee. 2009 Jan;16(1):6-13.