Virginia Rozalen-Garcia is a Consultant Endocrine and General Surgeon at University College London Hospital.
She graduated from medical school at the University of Navarre (Spain) and specialised as a General Surgeon in Barcelona. She then moved to the United Kingdom where she continued training as a Senior Research and Clinical Fellow in Endocrine Surgery at University College London. Upon completion of her fellowship, Virginia was appointed Consultant in Endocrine and General Surgery at UCLH.
She performs a wide variety of endocrine surgery procedures including thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal operations. She also performs general surgery procedures and participates in the on call rota at UCLH for management and treatment of surgical emergencies. She works closely with colleagues from GI Surgery, Endocrinology, Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Oncology in order to provide a multidisciplinary approach to deliver the best possible care to her patients. Virginia participates on research activities and her main interest is to improve care for patients suffering from hypoparathyroidism. She is a member of the European Society of Endocrine Surgery and attends international conferences to share new developments with colleagues and present her research work. Virginia considers teaching is a key part of her profession and she has been appointed Honorary Clinical Lecturer for undergraduate medical students at UCL.
She also provides teaching to nursing staff and junior doctors in training.
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Adrenal surgery
- Evaluation of a new pocket-size point of care device able to measure ionized calcium in blood, urine and saliva: prospective clinical trial. Oral Presentation, BAETS Annual scientific Meeting (Bournemouth, October 2022) - V Rozalen-Garcia, MC de Jong, TE Abdel-Aziz, C Soromani, F Lam, T Kurzawinski.
- Prospective clinical trial of a novel, reusable, pocket-size Point of Care device to measure ionized calcium in venous ad capillary blood: interim analysis. Shortlisted for Best Oral Presentation Award, 9th Conference of European Society of Endocrine Surgery (Athens, May 2022) - V Rozalen-Garcia, MC de Jong, TE Abdel-Aziz, C Soromani, F Lam, T Kurzawinski.
- Late recovery of parathyroid function after total thyroidectomy in children and adults: is there a difference? Horm Res Pediatr 2020;93(9-10):539-547. doi: 10.1159/000513768. - MC de Jong, L Lorente-Poch, J Sancho-Insenser, V Rozalen-Garcia, C Brain, TE Abdel-Aziz, RJ Hewitt, CR Buttler, A Sitges-Serra, TR Kurzawinski.
- Treating papillary and follicular thyroid cancer in children and young people: Single UK-centre experience between 2003 and 2018. J Pediatr Surg. 2020 Aug 4:S0022-3468(20)30538-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2020.07.034 - MC de Jong, MN Gaze, E Szychot, V Rozalén-García, C Brain, M Dattani, H Spoudeas, P Hindmarsh, TE Abdel-Aziz, J Bomanji, A Shankar, S Stoneham, S Morley, T Beale, S Jawad, S Otero, I Proctor, S Amin, G Butler, RJ Hewitt, TR Kurzawinski.
- Prospective pilot study of a novel, reusable, pocket size Point of Care device that could be used to measure ionized calcium in patients undergoing thyroid and parathyroid surgery. 8th Conference of European Society of Endocrine Surgery (May 2019) - V. Rozalén-García, MC de Jong, T Ezzat Abdel-Aziz, C.Soromani, F. Lam, J. Honour, T. R. Kurzawinski.
- Children are at a High Risk of Hypocalcaemia and Hypoparathyroidism after Total Thyroidectomy. J Pediatr Surg. 2020 Jul;55(7):1260-1264. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2019.06.027. - MC de Jong, H Nounou, V Rozalén-García, I Christakis, C Brain, TE Abdel-Aziz, RJ Hewitt, TR Kurzawinski
- The use of computed tomography as a first-line imaging modality in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism. Hormones (Athens). 2020 May 13. doi: 10.1007/s42000-020-00205-x. - MC de Jong , K Jamal, S Morley, T Beale, T Chung, S Jawad, S Hurel, H Simpson, U Srirangalingam, SE Baldeweg, V Rozalén-García, S Otero, M Shawky, TE Abdel-Aziz, TR Kurzawinski.
- Infuence of common clinical variables on intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring during surgery for primary hyperparathyroidism. J Endocrinol Invest. 2020 Sep;43(9):1205-1212. doi: 10.1007/s40618-020-01201-z - MS Shawky, MF Sakr, AS Nabawi, TE Abdel-Aziz, MC De Jong, V Rozalén-García, F Lam, C Soromani, J Smart, JW Honour, TR Kurzawinski.
- Advancement flap technique for anal fistula in patients with Crohn´s disease: a systematic review of the literature. Cir Esp 2017 Dec; 95(10): 558-565. DOI: 10.1016/j.ciresp.2017.09.002 - Rozalen V, Pares D, Sanchez E, Troya J, Vela S, Pacha MA, Piñol M, Julian JF.