Eric Jauniaux was appointed as a Senior lecturer and consultant in obstetrics and gynaecology at University College London and University College Hospital in 1995. He had previously been a lecturer in obstetrics and gynaecology at King’s College Hospital, London.
He was a full time academic consultant in obstetrics and fetal medicine until 2010. He developed the Early Pregnancy Unit in 1996 and the twin clinic in 1998. He was awarded a personal chair in Obstetrics and Fetal Medicine at UCL in 2002. In 2006, co-founded “Medical Aid Films” a charity dedicated to help medical training and education in low income countries using a multimedia approach (www.medicalaidfilms.org) and for which he has reduced his clinical activities in 2010.
He is one of the founding editor and pregnancy editor of Reproductive Bio-Medicine on line and Associate Editor of Journal of Medical Screening. He was appointed as a scientific editor of the British Journal of Obstetrics He has been on the editorial board of many journals in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. He is the editor of ?13 books including Cancer and Pregnancy, Embryonic medicine & therapy with Sir Robert Edwards (Nobel Prize in Medicine 2010), the first textbook on ART pregnancies and the first textbook on caesarean section. He is the author/co-author of over 400 peer-reviewed papers and reviews and has delivered over 300 prestigious lectures worldwide including the McGanity annual lecture (Baylor College, Houston, Tx). He is the laurate of 3 international prices for his work on the human placenta.
Professor Jauniaux works as part of the multidisciplinary Early Pregnancy unit and Emergency Gynaecology team. His main expertise is in the management of molar pregnancies, recurrent miscarriages and placenta accreta.
His academic work and clinical activities have been focussed in placental and fetal development and the diagnosis management of placental related-complications of pregnancy– covering the full spectrum from the anatomy and physiology to the diagnosis and treatment in utero of placental and fetal diseases. He has also developed a special interest in the pathophysiology of miscarriage and the management of ART pregnancies and in particular twin pregnancies.
- Burton GJ, Jauniaux E. Development of the Human Placenta and Fetal Heart: Synergic or Independent? Front Physiol. 2018;9:373.
- Gélat P, David AL, Haqhenas SR, Henriques J, Thibaut de Maisieres A, White T, Jauniaux E.
- Evaluation of fetal exposure to external loud noise using a sheep model: quantification of in utero acoustic transmission across the human audio range. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Oct;221(4):343.e1-343.
- Jauniaux E, Ayres-de-Campos D, Langhoff-Roos J, Fox KA, Collins S; FIGO Placenta Accreta
- Diagnosis and Management Expert Consensus Panel. FIGO classification for the clinical diagnosis of placenta accreta spectrum disorders. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Jul;146(1):20-24. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.12761
- Jauniaux E, Bunce C, Grønbeck L, Langhoff-Roos J. Prevalence and main outcomes of placenta accreta spectrum: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Nov 12;9(11):e031193. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-031193.
- Dimitrova I, Jauniaux E, Zosmer N, De Stefani LB, Andrade W, Bourmpaki E, Bunce C, Nicholaides KH. Development of a training program for the ultrasound screening of placenta accreta spectrum disorders. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Oct;147(1):73-77. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.12900.
- Jauniaux E, Dimitrova I, Kenyon N, Mhallem M, Kametas NA, Zosmer N, Hubinont C, Nicolaides KH, Collins SL. Impact of placenta previa with placenta accreta spectrum disorder on fetal growth. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Nov;54(5):643-649. doi: 10.1002/uog.20244.
- Jauniaux E, Hussein AM, Fox KA, Collins SL. New evidence-based diagnostic and management strategies for placenta accreta spectrum disorders. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2019 Nov;61:75-88. doi: 10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2019.04.006
- Jauniaux E, Grønbeck L, Bunce C, Langhoff-Roos J, Collins SL. Epidemiology of placenta previa accreta: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2019 Nov 12;9(11):e031193. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-031193.
- Jauniaux E, Hussein AM, Zosmer N, Elbarmelgy RM, Elbarmelgy RA, Shaikh H, Burton GJ. A new methodologic approach for clinico-pathologic correlations in invasive placenta previa accreta. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Apr;222(4):379.e1-379.e11. doi: 10.1016/ j.ajog.2019.11.1246.
- Jauniaux E, Moffett A, Burton GJ.Placental Implantation Disorders. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2020 Mar;47(1):117-132. doi: 10.1016/j.ogc.2019.10.002.