Medical director for surgery and cancer board, Board of Directors, UCLH and practising critical care clinician UCLH and researcher UCL.
I am a chest physician trained intensive care consultant and am professor of critical care at UCL. My research interests are in acute lung injury and I have led a number of national and international trails in lung injury in critical care including trialling the use of stem cells and use of Interferon Beta 1a. As medical director, my board covers cancer, surgical specialties, gastrointestinal services, theatres and anaesthesia, and imaging. I am also the SRO for the NCL Cancer Alliance and joint SRO for Critical Care for NCL. I am a member of the Council for the London Senate.
Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), sepsis and inflammation.
Publications from the last five years:
- V. Marco Ranieri M.D., Ville Pettilä M.D., Ph.D., Matti K. Karvonen M.D., Ph.D., Juho Jalkanen M.D., Ph.D., Peter Nightingale M.D., David Brealey M.D., Ph.D., Jordi Mancebo M.D., Ph.D., Ricard Ferrer M.D., Ph.D., Alain Mercat M.D., Ph.D., Nicolò Patroniti M.D., Ph.D., Michael Quintel M.D., Ph.D., Jean-Louis Vincent M.D., Ph.D., Marjatta Okkonen M.D., Ph.D., Ferhat Meziani M.D., Ph.D., Giacomo Bellani M.D., Ph.D., Niall MacCallum M.D., Ph.D., Jacques Creteur M.D., Ph.D., Stefan Kluge M.D., Antonio Artigas Raventos M.D., Mikael Maksimow Ph.D., Ilse Piippo M.D., Ph.D., Kati Elima M.D., Ph.D., Sirpa Jalkanen M.D., Ph.D., Markku Jalkanen Ph.D., Geoff Bellingan M.D., Ph.D. and the INTEREST Study Group* Effect of Intravenous Interferon Beta-1a on Death and Days Free from Mechanical Ventilation Among Patients with Moderate to Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2020;323(8):725-733 doi:10.1001/jama.2019.22525
- Rhodes A, Evans LE, Alhazzani W, Levy MM, Antonelli M, Ferrer R, Kumar A, Sevransky JE, Sprung CL, Nunnally ME, Rochwerg B, Rubenfeld GD, Angus DC, Annane D, Beale RJ, Bellingan GJ, Bernard GR, Chiche JD, Coopersmith C, De Backer DP, French CJ, Fujishima S, Gerlach H, Hidalgo JL, Hollenberg SM, Jones AE, Karnad DR, Kleinpell RM, Koh Y, Lisboa TC, Machado FR, Marini JJ, Marshall JC, Mazuski JE, McIntyre LA, McLean AS, Mehta S, Moreno RP, Myburgh J, Navalesi P, Nishida O, Osborn TM, Perner A, Plunkett CM, Ranieri M, Schorr CA, Seckel MA, Seymour CW, Shieh L, Shukri KA, Simpson SQ, Singer M, Thompson BT, Townsend SR, Van der Poll T, Vincent JL, Wiersinga WJ, Zimmerman JL, Dellinger RP. Surviving Sepsis Campaign: International Guidelines for Management of Sepsis and Septic Shock: 2016. Intensive Care Med; 43(3):304-377. 2017
- Bellingan G, Brealey D, Mancebo J, Mercat A, Patroniti N, Pettilä V, Quintel M, Vincent JL, Maksimow M, Jalkanen M, Piippo I, Ranieri VM. Comparison of the efficacy and safety of FP-1201-lyo (intravenously administered recombinant human interferon beta-1a) and placebo in the treatment of patients with moderate or severe acute respiratory distress syndrome: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials; 18(1):536. 2017
- Gordon AC, Mason AJ, Thirunavukkarasu N, Perkins GD, Cecconi M, Cepkova M, Pogson DG, Aya HD, Anjum A, Frazier GJ, Santhakumaran S, Ashby D, Brett SJ; VANISH Investigators. Effect of Early Vasopressin vs Norepinephrine on Kidney Failure in Patients With Septic Shock: The VANISH Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA; 316(5):509-18. 2016 (Collaborator)
- Harvey SE, Parrott F, Harrison DA, Sadique MZ, Grieve RD, Canter RR, McLennan BKP, Tan JCK, Bear DE, Segaran E, Beale R, Bellingan G, Leonard R, Mythen MG, Rowan KM. A multicentre, randomised controlled trial comparing the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of early nutritional support via the parenteral versus the enteral route in critically ill patients (CALORIES) Health Technology Assessment; 20 (28) 1-44. 2016
- Tridente A, Clarke GM, Walden A, Gordon AC, Hutton P, Chiche JD, Holloway PA, Mills GH, Bion J, Stüber F, Garrard C, Hinds C; GenOSept Investigators. Association between trends in clinical variables and outcome in intensive care patients with faecal peritonitis: analysis of the GenOSept cohort. Crit Care; 19:210. 2015 (Collaborator)
- Lall R, Hamilton P, Young D, Hulme C, Hall P, Shah S, MacKenzie I, Tunnicliffe W, Rowan K, Cuthbertson B, McCabe C, Lamb S; OSCAR collaborators. A randomised controlled trial and cost-effectiveness analysis of high-frequency oscillatory ventilation against conventional artificial ventilation for adults with acute respiratory distress syndrome. The OSCAR (OSCillation in ARDS) study. Health Technol Assess;19(23):1-177, 2015. (Collaborator)
- Prucha M, Bellingan G, Zazula R. Sepsis biomarkers. Clin Chim Acta; 440:97-103. 2015
- Harvey SE, Parrott F, Harrison DA, Bear DE, Segaran E, Beale R, Bellingan G, Leonard R, Mythen MG, Rowan KM; CALORIES Trial Investigators. Trial of the route of early nutritional support in critically ill adults. N Engl J Med; 371(18):1673-84. 2014
- McAuley DF, Laffey JG, O'Kane CM, Perkins GD, Mullan B, Trinder TJ, Johnston P, Hopkins PA, Johnston AJ, McDowell C, McNally C; HARP-2 Investigators; Irish Critical Care Trials Group. Simvastatin in the acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med; 371(18):1695-703. 2014 (Collaborator)
- Thakrar R, Shulman R, Bellingan G, Singer M. Management of a mixed overdose of calcium channel blockers, ?-blockers and statins. BMJ Case Rep 2014 2014
- Pearse RM, Harrison DA, MacDonald N, Gillies MA, Blunt M, Ackland G, Grocott MP, Ahern A, Griggs K, Scott R, Hinds C, Rowan K; OPTIMISE Study Group. Effect of a perioperative, cardiac output-guided hemodynamic therapy algorithm on outcomes following major gastrointestinal surgery: a randomized clinical trial and systematic review. JAMA; 311(21):2181-90. 2014 (Collaborator)
- Canter RR, Harvey SE, Harrison DA, Campbell MK, Rowan KM, Cuthbertson BH; Selective Decontamination of the Digestive tract in critically ill patients treated in Intensive Care Unit (SuDDICU) Investigators. Observational study of current use of selective decontamination of the digestive tract in UK critical care units. Br J Anaesth; 113(4):610-7. 2014 (Collaborator)
- Francis JJ, Duncan EM, Prior ME, MacLennan GS, Dombrowski SU, Bellingan G, Campbell MK, Eccles MP, Rose L, Rowan KM, Shulman R, Wilson APR, Cuthbertson BH. Selective decontamination of the digestive tract in critically ill patients treated in Intensive Care Units: a mixed-methods feasibility study (the SuDDICU study). Health Technology Assessment,18(25):1-170 Apr 2014
- Duncan EM, Cuthbertson BH, Prior ME, Marshall AP, Wells EC, Todd LE, Bolsover D, Newlands RS, Webster F, Rose L, Campbell MK, Bellingan G, Seppelt IM, Francis JJ, For the SuDDICU International Study Group. The views of health care professionals about selective decontamination of the digestive tract: An international, theoretically informed interview study. J Crit Care 21 Mar 2014
- Bellingan G, Montgomery H, Maksimow M, Salmi M, Jalkanen S. Use of interferon beta for acute respiratory distress syndrome: proceed with caution - Authors' reply. Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2(4):E2-E3 Apr 2014
- Bellingan G, Maksimow M, Howell DC, Stotz M, Beale R, Beatty M, Walsh T, Binning A, Davidson A, Kuper M, Shah S, Cooper J, Waris M, Yegutkin GG, Jalkanen J, Salmi M, Piippo I, Jalkanen M, Montgomery H, Jalkanen S. The effect of intravenous interferon-beta-1a (FP-1201) on lung CD73 expression and on acute respiratory distress syndrome mortality: an open-label study. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2(2):98-107 Feb 2014