Dr Palma Dileo is consultant medical oncologist on the sarcoma unit at UCLH, specialising exclusively in the management (chemotherapy and radiotherapy) of soft tissue and bone sarcomas. The sarcoma unit at UCLH, together with the sarcoma unit at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, is the London Sarcoma Service, which offers a comprehensive clinical service to patients of all ages with sarcoma at all sites of the body.
She has continued to provide patient care since 1996 (general oncology), with more emphasis on sarcoma and rare tumors starting from 1998. She completed her training at the Istituto Nazionale Tumori of Milan, Italy and at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, USA. From 2006 to 2010 she was associate physician, Medical Oncology, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan working in the sarcoma team.
She has a strong interest in early phase clinical trials and is a co-investigator for a number of clinical trials in sarcoma. She is a member of the EORTC Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group and ASCO.
- Soft tissue and bone sarcomas
- Desmoid fibromatosis
- Gastrointesintal stromal tumours
- Gynaecological sarcomas
- Rothermundt C, Whelan JS, Dileo P, Strauss SJ, Coleman J, Briggs TW, Haile SR, Seddon BM What is the role of routine follow-up for localised limb soft tissue sarcomas? A retrospective analysis of 174 patients.. Br J Cancer. 2014 May 13;110(10):2420-6. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2014.200. Epub 2014 Apr 15
- Anna Maria Frezza, Jeremy S Whelan, and Palma Dileo Trabectedin for desmoplastic small round cell tumours: a possible treatment option? Clin Sarcoma Res. 2014 Apr 25;4:3.
- Aitken SJ, Presneau N, Kalimuthu S, Dileo P, Berisha F, Tirabosco R, Amary MF, Flanagan AM. Next-generation sequencing is highly sensitive for the detection of beta-catenin mutations in desmoid-type fibromatoses. Virchows Arch. 2015 Apr 3
- Ferrari A., Dileo P., Casanova M., Meazza C., Bertulli R., Gandola L., Navarria P., Collini P., Gronchi A., Olmi P., Fossati-Bellani F., Casali P.G. Rhabdomyosarcoma in adults: a retrospective analysis of 171 patients treated at a single institution. Cancer. 2003 Aug 1;98(3):571-80.
- Dileo P, Desai J, Demetri GD. Identification and Clinical Management of patients with Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors in the Era of Imatinib Mesylate: incorporating the newest information into practice. Monographs in Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors. Physicians’ Educational Resource. January 2004 Vol 1, No 2.
- Dileo P and Demetri GD. Update on new diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for sarcomas. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2005 Oct; 3(10): 781-91.
- Grosso F, Dileo P, Sanfilippo R., Stacchiotti S., Bertulli R., Piovesan C., Jimeno J., D’Incalci M., Gescher A., Casali P.G. Steroid premedication markedly reduces liver and bone marrow toxicity of trabectedin in advanced sarcoma. Eur J Cancer. 2006 Jul;42(10):1484-90. Epub 2006 Jun 5.
- Palma Dileo, Jeffrey A. Morgan, David Zahrieh, Jayesh Desai, Jeanine M. Salesi, M. Travis Quigley, Kathleen Polson, Julie Pokela, George D. Demetri, Suzanne George. Gemcitabine and Vinorelbine Combination Chemotherapy for Patients with Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcomas: Results of a Phase II Trial. Cancer 2007 Mar 23;109(9):1863-1869.
- Grosso F, Jones RL, Demetri GD, Judson IR, Blay JY, Le Cesne A, Sanfilippo R, Casieri P, Collini P, Dileo P, Spreafico C, Stacchiotti S, Tamborini E, Tercero JC, Jimeno J, D'Incalci M, Gronchi A, Fletcher JA, Pilotti S, Casali PG. Efficacy of trabectedin (ecteinascidin-743) in advanced pretreated myxoid liposarcomas: a retrospective study. Lancet Oncol. 2007 Jul;8(7):595-602
- Monica M. Bertagnolli, Jeffrey A. Morgan, Christopher D.M. Fletcher, Chandrajit P. Raut, Palma Dileo, Ritu R.Gill, George D. Demetri, Suzanne George. Multimodality Treatment of Mesenteric Desmoid Tumors. Eur J Cancer. 2008 Nov;44(16):2404-10. Epub 2008 Aug 1
- Stacchiotti S, Collini P, Messina A, Morosi C, Barisella M, Bertulli R, Piovesan C, Dileo P, Torri V, Gronchi A, Casali PG. High-grade soft-tissue sarcomas: tumor response assessment--pilot study to assess the correlation between radiologic and pathologic response by using RECIST and Choi criteria. Radiology. 2009 May;251(2):447-56. Epub 2009 Mar 4.
- Grosso F, Sanfilippo R, Virdis E, Piovesan C, Collini P, Dileo P, Morosi C, Tercero JC, Jimeno J, D'Incalci M, Gronchi A, Pilotti S, Casali PG. Trabectedin in myxoid liposarcomas (MLS): a long-term analysis of a single-institution series. Ann Oncol. 2009 Aug;20(8):1439-44.
- Lessnick SL, Dei Tos AP, Sorensen PH, Dileo P, Baker LH, Ferrari S, Hall KS. Small round cell sarcomas. Semin Oncol. 2009 Aug;36(4):338-46. Review.
- Dileo P, Pricl S, Tamborini E. et al Imatinib response in two GIST patients carrying two hitherto functionally uncharacterized PDGFRA mutations: an imaging, biochemical and molecular modeling study. Int J Cancer. 2010 Apr 27.
- Barisella M., Collini P, Dileo P et al Unusual differentiation of soft tissue pPNETs: an immunohistochemical and molecular study of three cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2010 Jul;34(7):1002-6.
- Pennacchioli E, Fiore M, Collini P, et al Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma: clinical presentation, treatment and outcome in a series of 33 patients at a single Institution. Annals of Surgical Oncology Ann Surg Oncol. 2010 Jul
- Barisella M, Collini P, Orsenigo M, Aiello A, Dileo P, Pilotti S.Myogenic Differentiation in the Ewing Sarcoma Family of Tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Feb 4.
- Orsenigo M, Brich S, Riva C, Conca E, Bertulli R, Dileo P, Gronchi A, Casali PG, Pierotti MA, Tamborini E, Pilotti S. Fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis and immunophenotyping of c-Kit/PDGFRA and Bcl-2 expression in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Anal Quant Cytol Histol. 2010 Aug;32(4):225-33.
- Grignani G, Palmerini E, Dileo P, et al A Phase 2 Trial of Sorafenib in Relapsed and Unresectable High Grade Osteosarcoma After Failure of Standard Multimodal Therapy: An Italian Sarcoma Group Study. Ann Oncol. 2011 Apr 28.
- Whelan J, Khan A, Sharma A, Rothermundt C, Dileo P, et al. Interval compressed vincristine, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide alternating with ifosfamide, etoposide in patients with advanced Ewing's and other Small Round Cell Sarcomas. Clin Sarcoma Res. 2012 Sep 21;2(1):12.
- Vincenzi B, Frezza AM, Schiavon G, Santini D, Dileo P, Silletta M, Delisi D, Bertoldo F, Badalamenti G, Baldi GG, Zovato S, Berardi R, Tucci M, Silvestris F, Dei Tos AP, Tirabosco R, Whelan JS, Tonini G. Bone metastases in soft tissue sarcoma: a survey of natural history, prognostic value and treatment options. Clin Sarcoma Res. 2013 Apr 17;3(1):6.
- Frezza AM, Beale T, Bomanji J, Jay A, Kalavrezos N, Dileo P, Whelan J, Strauss SJ F-18]-fluorodeoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography of value in the management of patients with craniofacial bone sarcomas undergoing neo-adjuvant treatment?.Is [BMC Cancer. 2014 Jan 15;14:23.
- Rothermundt C, Whelan JS, Dileo P, Strauss SJ, Coleman J, Briggs TW, Haile SR, Seddon BM. What is the role of routine follow-up for localised limb soft tissue sarcomas? A retrospective analysis of 174 patients. Br J Cancer. 2014 May 13;110(10):2420-6. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2014.200. Epub 2014 Apr 15
- Anna Maria Frezza, Jeremy S Whelan, and Palma Trabectedin for desmoplastic small round cell tumours: a possible treatment option? Dileo Clin Sarcoma Res. 2014 Apr 25;4:3.