Dr David Howell studied medicine at University College London, and completed specialist training in general medicine, respiratory medicine and critical care in London. He was previously a Medical Research Council Research fellow at the Centre for Respiratory Research (CRR) at University College London and was awarded a PhD for his work on the role of coagulation proteases in the pathogenesis of inflammatory and fibrotic lung disease. He continues to have an active role in research projects and clinical trials.
He works predominantly as a consultant in critical care and acute medicine and is currently the divisional clinical director for critical care at UCLH.
Specialist interest in acute respiratory distress syndome
- Intravenous interferon-beta-1a (FP1201) up-regulates CD73 and is associated with a reduction in mortality in acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Bellingan GJ, Maksimow M, Howell DC, Stotz M, Beale R, Beatty M, Walsh T, Binning A, Davidson A, Kuper M, Shah S, Cooper J, Waris M, Yegutkin GG, Jalkanen J, Salmi M, Piippo I, Jalkanen M, Montgomery H, Jalkanen S. Lancet Respir Med. 2014 Feb;2(2):98-107. doi: 10.1016/S2213-2600(13)70259-5. Epub 2013 Dec 23.
- Improved intensive care unit survival for critically ill allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients following reduced intensity conditioning. Townsend WM, Holroyd A, Pearce R, Mackinnon S, Naik P, Goldstone AH, Linch DC, Peggs KS, Thomson KJ, Singer M, Howell DC, Morris EC. Br J Haematol. 2013 May;161(4):578-86. doi: 10.1111/bjh.12294. Epub 2013 Mar 18.
- Identifying clinical and acute psychological risk factors for PTSD after critical care: a systematic review. Wade D, Hardy R, Howell DC, Mythen M. Minerva Anestesiol. 2013 Aug;79(8):944-63. Epub 2013 Apr 5.
- Taking care: practice and philosophy of communication in a Critical Care follow-up clinic. Hazzard A, Harris W, Howell D. Intensive Crit Care Nurs. 2013 Jun;29(3):158-65. doi: 10.1016/j.iccn.2013.01.003. Epub 2013 Mar 9.
- N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antibody-mediated encephalitis. Mehta S, Szawarski P, Swayne OB, Kullmann DM, Howell DC. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2012 Aug;73(8):472-3.
- Determinants of psychological morbidity three months after intensive care: a prospective cohort study of clinical and acute psychological risk factors. Wade D, Howell DC et al. Critical Care, Crit Care. 2012 Oct 15;16(5):R192.
- Audit of audit: review of a clinical audit programme in a teaching hospital intensive care unit. Anderson P, Fee P, Shulman R, Bellingan G, Howell D. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2012 Sep;73(9):526-9.
- A multidisciplinary team approach to weaning from prolonged mechanical ventilation. Black CJ, Kuper M, Bellingan GJ, Batson S, Matejowsky C, Howell DC. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2012 Aug;73(8):462-6
- Pneumonia caused by Atypical Pathogens and Legionella. AO Clive, DC Howell. British Medical Journal (e-learning) http://learning.bmj.com/learning/module-intro/pneumonia-atypical-pathogens-legionella.html?locale=en_GB&moduleId=10036048 Aug 2012.
- Medication issues experienced by patients and carers after discharge from the intensive care unit. Eijsbroek H, Howell DC, Smith F, Shulman R. J Crit Care. 2012 Jul 24.
- H1N1 Pneumonitis Treated with Intravenous Zanamivir. Kidd IM, Down J, Nastouli E, Shulman R, Grant PR, Howell DC, Singer M. Lancet. 2009 Sep 19;374(9694):1036. Epub 2009 Sep 3.