After studying medicine at Oxford University and St Mary's Hospital Medical School, Joanna spent her paediatric training in St Mary's, Great Ormond Street, the Whittington, the Royal London and University College Hospitals. Her specialist training was in paediatric oncology and she did several years of research looking at PET-CT scanning in paediatric cancers. Her work included collaborations to establish national and international guidelines for PET-CT in children.
After six months as a consultant at Great Ormond Street, Joanna returned to general paediatrics at UCLH, developing her interests in child safeguarding. She runs a general adolescent medicine service with a large multidisciplinary team, looking after young people with varied and complex illnesses. She is a member of the Parents and Carers Advisory group at the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health and a Governor of the Great Ormond Street and University College Hospial School.
- Named Doctor for Child Safeguarding
- Specialist Child Safeguarding clinic for complex cases
- Non-malignant haematology (JB1HE with Prof John Porter) Adolescent medine. including chronic fatigue syndrome (JB1MC)
- Weight management (JB1O2)
- General Paediatrics (JB1GE)
- Stauss J, Franzius C, Pfluger T, Juergens KU, Biassoni L, Begent J, Kluge R, Amthauer H, Voelker T, Højgaard L, Barrington S, Hain S, Lynch T, Hahn K; European Association of Nuclear Medicine. Guidelines for 18F-FDG PET and PET-CT imaging in paediatric oncology. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2008 Aug;35(8):1581-8.
- Barrington SF, Begent J, Lynch T, Schleyer P, Biassoni L, Ramsden W, Kane T, Stoneham S, Brooks M, Hain SF. Guidelines for the use of PET-CT in children. Nucl Med Commun. 2008 May;29(5):418-24.
- Owens CM, Brisse HJ, Olsen ØE, Begent J, Smets AM. Bilateral disease and new trends in Wilms tumour. Pediatr Radiol. 2008 Jan;38(1):30-9.
- Gibson F, Cargill J, Allison J, Begent J, Cole S, Stone J, Lucas V. Establishing content validity of the oral assessment guide in children and young people. Eur J Cancer. 2006 Aug;42(12):1817-25.
- De Bernardi B, Balwierz W, Bejent J, Cohn SL, Garrè ML, Iehara T, Plantaz D, Simon T, Angelini P, Cama A, London WB, Kramer K, Katzenstein HM, Tortori-Donati P, Rossi A, D'Angio GJ, Evans AE. Epidural compression in neuroblastoma: Diagnostic and therapeutic aspects. Cancer Lett. 2005 Oct 18;228(1-2):283-99.
- Sury MR, Harker H, Begent J, Chong WK. The management of infants and children for painless imaging. Clin Radiol. 2005 Jul;60(7):731-41. Review.
- Boztug K, Kiely E, Roebuck DJ, Gaze M, Begent J, Brock P, Michalski A. Successful treatment of MYCN amplified, progressive stage 4S neuroblastoma in a neonate with hepatic artery embolization in addition to multimodality treatment. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2006 Feb;46(2):253-7.
- Roberts G, Newsom D, Gomez K, Raffles A, Saglani S, Begent J, Lachman P, Sloper K, Buchdahl R, Habel A; North West Thames Asthma Study Group. Intravenous salbutamol bolus compared with an aminophylline infusion in children with severe asthma: a randomised controlled trial. Thorax. 2003 Apr;58(4):306-10.