Dr. John Whittle is a consultant in anaesthesia, critical care and perioperative medicine at University College Hospitals and an honorary associate professor at University College London. He qualified MBBS from Guys, King’s & St.Thomas’ Hospitals School of Medicine, London, in 2004.
He underwent postgraduate training in Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine in the Central School of Anaesthesia, London, between 2007 and 2016. During this time, he qualified as Fellow of Royal College of Anaesthetists (FRCA) in 2009 and as Fellow of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine (FFICM) in 2017. During his postgraduate clinical training, Dr Whittle was awarded a National Institute of Health Research Academic Clinical Fellowship which he undertook at University College London.
During this time he carried out research resulting in the award of the degree of Doctor of Medicine in Research from University College London. In additional, Dr Whittle undertook a fellowship in Perioperative Medicine at UCL. After finishing postgraduate training, Dr. Whittle joined the Duke Anesthesiology faculty in the USA as assistant professor in 2017 before returning to UCLH in 2020.
Dr Whittle's research interests are in perioperative optimization, including prehabilitation, as well as metabolic health. He currently runs the Human Physiology and Performance Laboratory in the Centre for Perioperative Medicine at UCL.
- Tara Lenk, John Whittle, Solomon Aronson, Timothy Miller, Matthew Fuller, Tracy Setji. Duke University Medical Center Perioperative Diabetes Management Program. Clinical Diabetes 2021. https://doi.org/10.2337/cd20-0029
- John Whittle, Jeroen Molinger, David MacLeod, Krista Haines, Paul Wischmeyer. Persistent hypermetabolism and longitudinal energy expenditure in critically ill patients with COVID-19. Crit Care 24, 581 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-020-03286-7
- Grimberg, Dominic C., Ankeet Shah, Jeroen Molinger, John Whittle, Rajan T. Gupta, Paul E. Wischmeyer, Shelley R. McDonald, and Brant A. Inman. “Assessments of frailty in bladder cancer.” Urol Oncol 38, no. 9 (September 2020): 698–705. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2020.04.036.
- Bishawi, Muath, Michael Kaplan, Simbarashe Chidyagwai, Jhaymie Cappiello, Anne Cherry, David MacLeod, Ken Gall, John Whittle et al. “Rapid Ventilator Splitting During COVID-19 Pandemic Using 3D Printed Devices and Numerical Modeling of 200 Million Patient Specific Air Flow Scenarios.” Res Sq, August 12, 2020. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-48165/v1.
- Molinger, Jeroen, Amy M. Pastva, John Whittle, and Paul E. Wischmeyer. “Novel approaches to metabolic assessment and structured exercise to promote recovery in ICU survivors.” Curr Opin Crit Care 26, no. 4 (August 2020): 369–78. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCC.0000000000000748.
- Fudim, Marat, Yawar J. Qadri, Kamrouz Ghadimi, David B. MacLeod, Jeroen Molinger, Jonathan P. Piccini, John Whittle, Paul E. Wischmeyer, Manesh R. Patel, and Luis Ulloa. “Implications for Neuromodulation Therapy to Control Inflammation and Related Organ Dysfunction in COVID-19.” J Cardiovasc Transl Res, May 26, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12265-020-10031-6.
- Ackland, Gareth L., Tom E. F. Abbott, Timothy F. Jones, Martin Leuwer, Rupert M. Pearse, Rupert M. VISION-UK Investigators, Rupert M. University College Hospital, Rupert M. Royal Liverpool University Hospital, and Rupert M. Leeds Teaching Hospitals. “Early elevation in plasma high-sensitivity troponin T and morbidity after elective noncardiac surgery: prospective multicentre observational cohort study.” Br J Anaesth 124, no. 5 (May 2020): 535–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2020.02.003.
- Ohnuma, Tetsu, Karthik Raghunathan, Alan R. Ellis, John Whittle, Srinivas Pyati, William E. Bryan, Marc J. Pepin, Raquel R. Bartz, and Vijay Krishnamoorthy. “Effects of Acetaminophen, NSAIDs, Gabapentinoids, and Their Combinations on Postoperative Pulmonary Complications After Total Hip or Knee Arthroplasty.” Pain Med, February 26, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnaa017.
- Ohnuma, Tetsu, Karthik Raghunathan, Sean Moore, Soko Setoguchi, Alan R. Ellis, Matthew Fuller, John Whittle, et al. “Dose-Dependent Association of Gabapentinoids with Pulmonary Complications After Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasties.” J Bone Joint Surg Am 102, no. 3 (February 5, 2020): 221–29. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.19.00889.
- Martin, Greg S., David A. Kaufman, Paul E. Marik, Nathan I. Shapiro, Denny Z. H. Levett, John Whittle, David B. MacLeod, et al. “Perioperative Quality Initiative (POQI) consensus statement on fundamental concepts in perioperative fluid management: fluid responsiveness and venous capacitance.” Perioper Med (Lond) 9 (2020): 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13741-020-00142-8.
- VanDusen, Keith W., Sarada Eleswarpu, Eugene W. Moretti, Michael J. Devinney, Donna M. Crabtree, Daniel T. Laskowitz, Marty G. Woldorff, John Whittle et al. “The MARBLE Study Protocol: Modulating ApoE Signaling to Reduce Brain Inflammation, DeLirium, and PostopErative Cognitive Dysfunction.” J Alzheimers Dis 75, no. 4 (2020): 1319–28. https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-191185.
- Ackland, G. L., T. E. F. Abbott, D. Cain, M. R. Edwards, P. Sultan, S. N. Karmali, A. J. Fowler, Whittle J et al. “Preoperative systemic inflammation and perioperative myocardial injury: prospective observational multicentre cohort study of patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery.” Br J Anaesth 122, no. 2 (February 2019): 180–87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2018.09.002.
- Dunkman, W Jonathan, Michael W. Manning, John Whittle, John Hunting, Edward N. Rampersaud, Brant A. Inman, Julie K. Thacker, and Timothy E. Miller. “Impact of an enhanced recovery pathway on length of stay and complications in elective radical cystectomy: a before and after cohort study.” Perioper Med (Lond) 8 (2019): 9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13741-019-0120-4.
- Lenk, Tara, John Whittle, Timothy E. Miller, David G. A. Williams, and Yuriy S. Bronshteyn. “Focused cardiac ultrasound in preoperative assessment: the perioperative provider's new stethoscope?” Perioper Med (Lond) 8 (2019): 16. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13741-019-0129-8.
- Whittle, John, Paul E. Wischmeyer, Michael P. W. Grocott, and Timothy E. Miller. “Surgical Prehabilitation: Nutrition and Exercise.” Anesthesiol Clin 36, no. 4 (December 2018): 567–80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anclin.2018.07.013.
- Walker, David, Duncan Wagstaff, Dermot McGuckin, Cecilia Vindrola-Padros, Nicholas Swart, Stephen Morris, Sonya Crowe, Naomi J. Fulop, the POMSHIP study group and S Ramani Moonesinghe. “Mixed-methods evaluation of the Perioperative Medicine Service for High-Risk Patients Implementation Pilot (POMSHIP): a study protocol.” Bmj Open 8, no. 10 (October 2018): e021647–e021647. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-021647.
- Ackland, G. L., T. F. Abbott, and R. M. Pearse Vision investigators. “Preoperative systemic inflammation and myocardial injury in non-cardiac surgery.” British Journal of Anaesthesia 121, no. 2 (August 2018): e20–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2018.05.021.
- Ackland, Gareth L., Gary Minto, Martin Clark, John Whittle, Robert C. M. Stephens, Thomas Owen, Pradeep Prabhu, and Ana Gutierrez Del Arroyo. “Autonomic regulation of systemic inflammation in humans: A multi-center, blinded observational cohort study.” Brain Behav Immun 67 (January 2018): 47–53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2017.08.010.
- Ackland, G. L., T. E. F. Abbott, R. M. Pearse, S. N. Karmali, J. Whittle, G. Minto, and G. POM-HR Study Investigators. “Arterial pulse pressure and postoperative morbidity in high-risk surgical patients.” Br J Anaesth 120, no. 1 (January 2018): 94–100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bja.2017.11.009.
- Abbott, T. E. F., G. Minto, A. M. Lee, R. M. Pearse, G. L. Ackland, and G. L. POM-HR, POMO-O and OPTIMISE study groups. “Elevated preoperative heart rate is associated with cardiopulmonary and autonomic impairment in high-risk surgical patients.” Br J Anaesth119, no. 1 (July 1, 2017): 87–94. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aex164.
- Machhada, Asif, Stefan Trapp, Nephtali Marina, Robert C. M. Stephens, John Whittle, Mark F. Lythgoe, Sergey Kasparov, Gareth L. Ackland, and Alexander V. Gourine. “Vagal determinants of exercise capacity.” Nat Commun 8 (May 18, 2017): 15097. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms15097.
- Toner, A., N. Jenkins, G. L. Ackland, and G. L. POM-O Study Investigators. “Baroreflex impairment and morbidity after major surgery.” Br J Anaesth 117, no. 3 (September 2016): 324–31. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aew257.
- Ackland, Gareth L., John Whittle, Andrew Toner, Asif Machhada, Ana Gutierrez Del Arroyo, Alberto Sciuso, Nicholas Jenkins, et al. “Molecular Mechanisms Linking Autonomic Dysfunction and Impaired Cardiac Contractility in Critical Illness.” Crit Care Med 44, no. 8 (August 2016): e614–24. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000001606.
- Whittle, John, and David Walker. “The new international sepsis guidelines (Sepsis-3): the central message remains.” Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 77, no. 4 (April 2016): 208–11. https://doi.org/10.12968/hmed.2016.77.4.208.
- Nelson, Alexander, James Otto, John Whittle, Robert C. M. Stephens, Daniel S. Martin, John R. Prowle, and Gareth L. Ackland. “Subclinical cardiopulmonary dysfunction in stage 3 chronic kidney disease.” Open Heart 3, no. 1 (2016): e000370. https://doi.org/10.1136/openhrt-2015-000370.
- Karmali, S., N. Jenkins, A. Sciusco, J. John, F. Haddad, G. L. Ackland, and G. L. POM-X Study Investigators. “Randomized controlled trial of vagal modulation by sham feeding in elective non-gastrointestinal (orthopaedic) surgery.” Br J Anaesth 115, no. 5 (November 2015): 727–35. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aev283.
- Whittle, J., and A. A. Kelleher. “Preoperative assessment for cardiac surgery.” Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine 16, no. 10 (October 1, 2015): 484–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mpaic.2015.07.009.
- Edwards, Mark R., Pervez Sultan, Ana Gutierrez del Arroyo, John Whittle, Shamir N. Karmali, S Ramani Moonesinghe, Fares S. Haddad, Michael G. Mythen, Mervyn Singer, and Gareth L. Ackland. “Metabolic dysfunction in lymphocytes promotes postoperative morbidity.” Clin Sci (Lond) 129, no. 5 (September 2015): 423–37. https://doi.org/10.1042/CS20150024.
- Barsukevich, Veronika, Marina Basalay, Jenifer Sanchez, Alexander Mrochek, John Whittle, Gareth L. Ackland, Alexander V. Gourine, and Andrey Gourine. “Distinct cardioprotective mechanisms of immediate, early and delayed ischaemic postconditioning.” Basic Res Cardiol110, no. 1 (January 2015): 452. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00395-014-0452-7.
- Ackland, Gareth L., Sadaf Iqbal, Laura Gallego Paredes, Andrew Toner, Craig Lyness, Nicholas Jenkins, Phoebe Bodger, John Whittle et al. “Individualised oxygen delivery targeted haemodynamic therapy in high-risk surgical patients: a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, controlled, mechanistic trial.” Lancet Respir Med 3, no. 1 (January 2015): 33–41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(14)70205-X.
- Whittle, John, Alexander Nelson, James M. Otto, Robert C. M. Stephens, Daniel S. Martin, J Robert Sneyd, Richard Struthers, Gary Minto, and Gareth L. Ackland. “Sympathetic autonomic dysfunction and impaired cardiovascular performance in higher risk surgical patients: implications for perioperative sympatholysis.” Open Heart 2, no. 1 (2015): e000268. https://doi.org/10.1136/openhrt-2015-000268.
- Botto, Fernando, Pablo Alonso-Coello, Matthew T. V. Chan, Juan Carlos Villar, Denis Xavier, Sadeesh Srinathan, Gordon Guyatt, et al. Vision UK study group “Myocardial injury after noncardiac surgery: a large, international, prospective cohort study establishing diagnostic criteria, characteristics, predictors, and 30-day outcomes.” Anesthesiology 120, no. 3 (March 2014): 564–78. https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000000113.
- Edwards, Mark, John Whittle, and Gareth L. Ackland. “Biomarkers to guide perioperative management.” Postgrad Med J 87, no. 1030 (August 2011): 542–49. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2010.107177.