Qualifications: BDS, MFDS RCS Ed, M Oral Surg RCS, FHEA
Maria was appointed consultant in oral surgery at the Eastman Dental Hospital in 2019. She undertook a NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship Specialty Training Post in Oral Surgery at King’s College Hospital and gained her Membership in Oral Surgery with the Royal College of Surgeons in 2016. The academic component of her specialty training involved clinical research into iatrogenic trigeminal nerve injuries and chronic orofacial pain.
She has authored a number of publications in peer-reviewed journals, contributed to oral surgery textbooks and e-learning modules with the Royal College of Surgeons. She completed a postgraduate certificate in Clinical Education at King’s College London in 2014 and is involved in both lecturing and clinical teaching of undergraduate students, postgraduate students and trainees in oral surgery.
Oral surgery, orofacial pain, trigeminal nerve injury, patient safety.
1. H Tagar, M Devine, O Obisesan. How to create local safety standards for invasive procedures (LocSSIPs) by engaging the team in patient safety. Br Dent J 2019; 226: 144–151
2. M Devine, N Rahman, SEJ Connor, J Patel, T Renton. Evaluation of routine magnetic resonance imaging of patients with chronic orofacial pain. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019 Jan;48(1):48-55.
3. L N Melek, M Devine, T Renton. The psychosocial impact of orofacial pain in trigeminal neuralgia patients: a systematic review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018 Jul;47(7):869-878
4. M Devine, M Hirani, J Durham, DR Nixdorf, T Renton. Identifying criteria for diagnosis of post-traumatic pain and altered sensation of the maxillary and mandibular branches of the trigeminal nerve: a systematic review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2018 Jun;125(6):526-540
5. Hill, C., Devine, M. & Renton, T. Oral surgery II: Part 4. Common oral lesions. Br Dent J. 2017; 223: 769–779
6. M Devine, O Modgill, T Renton. Mandibular division trigeminal nerve injuries following primary endodontic treatment. A case series. Australian Endodontic Journal 2017;43(2):56-65
7. Devine, M., Yilmaz, Z., Hirani, M. et al. A case series of trigeminal nerve injuries caused by periapical lesions of mandibular teeth. Br Dent J. 2017; 222: 447–455
8. M. Devine, G. Gerrard, T. Renton. Current practice in mandibular third molar surgery. A national survey of British Association of Oral Surgeons membership. Oral Surg. 2017; 10(1): 11-19
9. M Devine, J Patel, T Renton. An audit of utilisation of oral surgery day case operating lists, considering use of laryngeal mask airway to reduce anaesthetic time. Journal of one day surgery. 2016; 26(3)
10. Devine M, Taylor S, Renton T. Chronic post-surgical pain following the placement of dental implants in the maxilla: A case series. Eur J Oral Implantol. 2016;9 Suppl 1(2):179-86
11. Carter E, Yilmaz Z, Devine M, Renton T. An update on the causes, assessment and management of third division sensory trigeminal neuropathies. Br Dent J. 2016 Jun 24;220(12):627-35.
12. Devine M, Sammut S, Conn B, Lopes V. Necrotising sialometaplasia in the floor of mouth. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014 Mar;18(1):119-21.
13. Devine M, O'Regan B. Screw-wire osteo-traction (SWOT) in the reduction and fixation of frontonasal dysjunction in Le Fort II/III upper mid-facial fractures. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013 Dec;51(8):985-7.
14. O’Regan B, Devine M, Bhopal S. Screw-wire osteo-traction: an adjunctive or alternative method of anatomical reduction of multisegment midfacial fractures? A description of technique and prospective study of 40 patients. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2013 Dec; 6(4): 215–220
15. Renton T, Devine M. Diagnosis and Management of Inferior Alveolar Nerve Damage Associated with Dental Implant Surgery. Forum Implantologicum. 2013; 9: 84-95.
16. O'Regan B, Devine M. Screw-wire traction technique: aid to anatomical reduction of multi-segment mid-facial fractures. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013 Jul;51(5):459-60.
17. Devine M, Malden N. A clinical audit to assess the early and long-term success of intra oral bone grafting under local anaesthesia prior to implant placement. An analysis of eleven consecutively performed procedures. Scottish Dentist. 2010; 2(2)
18. Gaunt F, Devine M, Pennington M, Vernazza C, Gwynnett E, Steen N, Heasman P. The cost-effectiveness of supportive periodontal care for patients with chronic periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2008 Sep;35(8 Suppl):67-82.