Mark Gaze has been a consultant clinical oncologist at University College London Hospitals and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children since 1993. His particular areas of expertise include the management of cancer in children and young people with radiotherapy, and the use of radionuclide therapy in adults and children.
Mark qualified from Saint Bartholomew's Hospital and undertook specialist cancer training in Edinburgh and Glasgow. His MD research was on the targeted radiotherapy of neuroblastoma, a subject in which he maintains a strong clinical interest. He is the lead for radiotherapy in clinical trials run by the European Paediatric Soft Tissue Sarcoma Group (EpSSG), and also for the International Society of Paediatric Oncology Europe Neuroblastoma Group (SIOPEN). He is Chairman of the Children's Cancer and Leukaemia Group. He has a major interest in postgraduate medical education, is a member of the Specialist Training Board of the Faculty of Clinical Oncology, Royal College of Radiologists, and was formerly Chairman of the Specialty Training Committee in Clinical Oncology London, Kent Surrey and Sussex and Eastern (Essex and Hertfordshire) Deaneries.
Paediatric radiotherapy and radionuclide therapy
- Multi-modality megatherapy with [131I]meta-iodobenzylguanidine, high dose melphalan and total body irradiation with bone marrow rescue: feasibility study of a new strategy for advanced neuroblastoma. M. N. Gaze, T. E. Wheldon, J. A. O’Donoghue, T. E. Hilditch, S. G. McNee, E. Simpson, and A. Barrett. European Journal of Cancer, 1995, 31A, 252-256.
- Dosimetric considerations in 131I-mIBG therapy for neuroblastoma in children. A. A. Bolster, T. E. Hilditch, T. E. Wheldon, M. N. Gaze and A. Barrett. British Journal of Radiology, 1995, 68, 481-490.
- Pain relief and quality of life following radiotherapy for bone metastases: a randomised trial of two fractionation schedules. M. N. Gaze, C. G. Kelly, G. R. Kerr, A. Cull, V. J. Cowie, A. Gregor, G.C.W. Howard and A. Rodger. Radiotherapy and Oncology, 1997, 45, 109-116.
- A simple reconstructive procedure for radiation-induced necrosis of the external auditory canal. D. S. Hill, M. N. Gaze and H. R. Grant. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 1998, 112, 1142-1146.
- An audit of antiemetic use with CMF chemotherapy. R. S. D. Brown, T. K. Brown, D. Hoare and M. N. Gaze. Clinical Oncology, 1998, 10, 313-317.
- Radiotherapy omitted in the treatment of selected children under three years of age with Stage III favourable histology Wilms’ Tumor. A. Pachnis, J. Pritchard, M. N. Gaze, G. Levitt and A Michalski. Medical and Pediatric Oncology, 1998, 31, 150-152.
- Variations in dose and dose intensity of adjuvant CMF chemotherapy for breast cancer throughout the UK. R. S. D. Brown, R. J. Burcombe, M. E. Osborne and M. N. Gaze. Clinical Oncology, 2000, 12, 315-323.
- Functional imaging as an aid to decision-making in metastatic paraganglioma. J. B. Bomanji, S. W. Hyder, M. N. Gaze, S. Gacinovic, D. C. Costa, C. Coulter, P. J. Ell. British Journal of Radiology, 2001, 74, 266-269.
- Treatment of neuroendocrine tumours in adults with 131I-MIBG therapy. J. B. Bomanji, W. Wong, M. N. Gaze, A. Cassoni, W. Waddington, J. Solano, P. J. Ell. Clinical Oncology, 2003, 15, 193-198.
- Feasibility of dosimetry-based high-dose 131I-meta-iodobenzylguanidine with topotecan as a radiosensitizer in children with metastatic neuroblastoma. M. N. Gaze, Y.-C. Chang, G. D. Flux, R. J. Mairs RJ, F. H. Saran, S. T. Meller. Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, 2005, 20, 195-199.
- Symptom control and quality of life in people with lung cancer: a randomised trial of two palliative radiotherapy fractionation schedules. S. C. Erridge, M. N. Gaze, A. Price, C. G. Kelly, G. R. Kerr, A. Cull, R. H. MacDougall, G. C. Howard, V. J. Cowie, A. Gregor. Clinical Oncology, 2005, 17, 61-67.
- Dosimetry for fractionated (131)I-mIBG therapies in patients with primary resistant high-risk neuroblastoma: preliminary results. S.E. Buckley, F. H. Saran, M. N. Gaze, S. Chittenden, M. Partridge, D. Lancaster, A. Pearson, G.D. Flux. Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, 2007, 22, 105-112.
- Incidence of cavernoma development in children after radiotherapy for brain tumors. S. Burn, R. Gunny, K. Phipps, M. N. Gaze, R. Hayward. Journal of Neurosurgery, 2007, 106, 379-383.
- Electron spectroscopic imaging of organic compounds using PC based energy sequence imaging software. A. D. Johnson, R. J. Mairs, M. N. Gaze, G. Sass and I. M. Huxham. Microscopy, Microanalysis, Microstructures, 1995, 6, 65-77.
- Enhanced tumour uptake and in vitro radiotoxicity of no-carrier-added [131I] meta-iodobenzylguanidine: implications for the targeted radiotherapy of neuroblastoma. R. J. Mairs, J. Russell, S. Cunningham, J. A. O’Donoghue, M. N. Gaze, J. Owens, G. Vaidyanathan and M. R. Zalutsky. European Journal of Cancer, 1995, 31A, 576-581.
- Optimum combination of targeted 131I and total body irradiation for treatment of disseminated cancer. A. E. Amin, T. E. Wheldon, J. A. O'Donoghue, M. N. Gaze and A. Barrett. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, 1995, 32, 713-721.
- No-carrier-added iodine-131 MIBG: evaluation of a therapeutic preparation. R. J. Mairs, S. H. Cunningham, J. Russell, A. Armour, J. Owens, K. McKellar, and M. N. Gaze. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 1995, 36, 1088-1095.
- The effect of cisplatin pretreatment on the accumulation of mIBG by neuroblastoma cells in vitro. A. Armour, S. H. Cunningham, M. N. Gaze, T. E. Wheldon and R. J. Mairs. British Journal of Cancer, 1997, 75, 470-476.
- [131I]meta-iodobenzylguanidine and topotecan combination treatment of tumors expressing the noradrenaline transporter. A. G. McCluskey, M. Boyd, S. C. Ross, E. Cosimo, A. M. Clark, W. J. Angerson, M. N. Gaze, R. J. Mairs. Clinical Cancer Research, 2005, 11, 7929-7937.
- [131I]MIBG and topotecan: a rationale for combination therapy for neuroblastoma. A. G. McCluskey, M. Boyd, M. N. Gaze, R. J. Mairs. Cancer Letters, 2005, 228, 221-227.
- Experimental treatment of neuroblastoma using [131I] meta-iodobenzyl-guanidine and topotecan in combination. A.G. McCluskey, M. Boyd, S. L. Pimlott, J. W. Babich, M. N. Gaze, R. J. Mairs . British Journal of Radiology. 2008, 81, Spec No 1:S28-35.
- The clinical significance of modern linear accelerators. M. N. Gaze. RAD Magazine, 1996, 22, 29.
- The current status of targeted radiotherapy in clinical practice. M. N. Gaze. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 1996, 41, 1895-1903.
- Radiolabelled mIBG in the treatment of neuroblastoma. M. N. Gaze and T. E. Wheldon.European Journal of Cancer, 1996, 32A, 93-96.
- Superior vena cava obstruction: a modern management strategy. P. J. Ostler, D. P. Clarke, A. F. Watkinson and M. N. Gaze. Clinical Oncology, 1997, 9, 83-89.
- Current management of neuroblastoma. J. K. Simpson and M. N. Gaze. Oncologist, 1998, 3, 253-262.
- Current experience with mIBG therapy in combination with chemotherapy and radiosensitizers. M. N. Gaze and N. L. Fersht. Nuclear Medicine and Biology, 2008, 35 S1:21-S1:26.
- The response of adenoid cystic carcinoma to tamoxifen. A. Shadaba, M. N. Gaze and H. R. Grant. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 1997, 111, 1186-1189.
- Recurrent follicular carcinoma - oxyphilic cell type (Hürthle cell carcinoma) of the thyroid, imaging with iodine-131 and technetium-99m tetrofosmin before and after radiotherapy. J. B. Bomanji, S. Gacinovic, M. N. Gaze, D. C. Costa and P. J. Ell. British Journal of Radiology, 1998, 71, 87-89.
- Congenital alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma: clinical and molecular distinction from alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma in older children. R. Grundy, J. Anderson, M. N. Gaze, M. Gerrard, A. Glaser, A. Gordon, M. Malone, K. Pritchard-Jones and A. Michalski. Cancer. 2001 Feb 1;91(3):606-12.
- A new technique of laparoscopic ovariopexy before irradiation. D. K. Visvanathan, A. S. Cutner, A. M. Cassoni, M. N. Gaze, M. C. Davies. Fertility and Sterility. 2003 79, 1204-6.
- Medulloblastoma as a first presentation of fanconi anemia. M. D. Tischkowitz, J. Chisholm, M. N. Gaze, A. Michalski, E. M. Rosser. Journal of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, 2004, 26, 52-55.
- Successful treatment of MYCN amplified, progressive stage 4S neuroblastoma in a neonate with hepatic artery embolization in addition to multimodality treatment. K. Boztug, E. Kiely, D. J. Roebuck, M. N. Gaze, J. Begent, P. Brock, A. Michalski. Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 2006, 46, 253-257.
- Fersht, N., Sullivan, K., Gaze, M. Radionuclide therapy in childhood cancer, RAD Magazine, August 2009. 35, 411, 23-24.