Mr Sam Oussedik is a fellowship trained knee, sports and trauma surgeon and clinical director of trauma and orthopaedics at UCLH.
He studied medicine at St Bartholomew's Medical College, London graduating in 1999. Having worked in the academic units at Barts and the Homerton Hospital for Professors Besser, Monson, Grossman and Kumar, he chose a career in surgery.
Having spent a large proportion of his post-graduate training in the field of knee surgery, Mr Oussedik decided to further this by spending a year at the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney as knee fellow with Drs Myles Coolican and David Parker. During this time he was able to gain highly specialised experience in all aspects of knee and lower limb surgery, specifically focusing on the latest techniques for joint replacements and knee reconstruction following sports injuries.
He now specialise in all forms of knee surgery. This includes ligament reconstruction, such as anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction; multiligament knee reconstruction, meniscal surgery; cartilage surgery including cartilage restoration treatments; joint preservation through osteotomy; patellofemoral stabilisation (kneecap stabilisation) including trochleoplasty; partial joint replacement; total joint replacement; navigation assisted joint replacement.
In 2016, Mr Oussedik was selected to tour the USA and Canada on the ABC fellowship, a very prestigious global fellowship for Orthopaedic Surgeons. He gained invaluable insights into the North American health system from visiting 11 academic and university orthopaedic departments.
Mr Oussedik has chaired the Exemplar Discharge Board at UCLH and set up the virtual fracture clinic, dedicated to improving patients' experience. This has proven so successful that the model has been shared with other nearby Trusts. Mr Oussedik is now working with the UCLH team to set up a virtual Arthroplasty Clinic for long-term surveillance of artificial joints.
Mr Oussedik is the director of surgical education at UCLH and runs a series of successful courses for surgeons in training.
Mr Oussedik is an active researcher, including work into improving results following joint replacement surgery and the role of robotic surgery.
Mr Oussedik has been specialty editor for knee surgery for the Bone and Joint Journal, the pre-eminent British Orthopaedic Journal, for the past 5 years and is on the editorial board of the American Journal of Sports Medicine, the highest impact global sports surgery journal.
Mr Oussedik has co-edited two books on knee replacement and pursues research in methods to improve patient outcomes following knee replacement surgery. He has just published a new book on osteotomy surgery for knee conditions. He accepts complex tertiary referrals for both native joint and previously replaced knee joint problems.
- Joint replacement
- Joint preservation
- Surgical education
1. Reinstating elective orthopaedic surgery in the age of COVID-19.
Oussedik S, Zagra L, Shin GY, D'Apolito R, Haddad FS.
Bone Joint J. 2020 Jul;102-B(7):807-810.
2. Alignment in total knee arthroplasty.
Oussedik S, Abdel MP, Victor J, Pagnano MW, Haddad FS.
Bone Joint J. 2020 Mar;102-B(3):276-279.
3. A prospective double-blinded randomised control trial comparing robotic arm-assisted functionally aligned total knee arthroplasty versus robotic arm-assisted mechanically aligned total knee arthroplasty.
Kayani B, Konan S, Tahmassebi J, Oussedik S, Moriarty PD, Haddad FS.
Trials. 2020 Feb 18;21(1):194.
4. Orthopaedic infection: is consensus the answer.
Haddad FS, Oussedik S, Meek RMD, Konan S, Stockley I, Gant V.
Bone Joint J. 2018 Nov;100-B(11):1405-1406.
5. General Assembly, Diagnosis, Pathogen Isolation - Culture Matters: Proceedings of International Consensus on Orthopedic Infections.
Ascione T, Barrack R, Benito N, Blevins K, Brause B, Cornu O, Frommelt L, Gant V, Goswami K, Hu R, Klement MR, Komnos G, Malhotra R, Mirza Y, Munhoz Lima AL, Nelson C, Noor SS, O'Malley M, Oussedik S, Portillo ME, Prieto H, Saxena A, Sessa G.
J Arthroplasty. 2019 Feb;34(2S):S197-S206.
6. Arthroscopic simulation using a knee model can be used to train speed and gaze strategies in knee arthroscopy.
An VVG, Mirza Y, Mazomenos E, Vasconcelos F, Stoyanov D, Oussedik S.
Knee. 2018 Dec;25(6):1214-1221.
7. Subchondral Insufficiency Fracture in the Lateral Compartment of the Knee in a 64-Year-Old Marathon Runner.
An VV, Broek MVD, Oussedik S.
Knee Surg Relat Res. 2017 Dec 1;29(4):325-328.
8. Paediatric fractures around the knee.
van den Broek M, Oussedik S.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2017 Aug 2;78(8):453-458.
9. Is there a role for stem cells in treating articular injury?
Mirza YH, Oussedik S.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2017 Jul 2;78(7):372-377.
10. International consensus on the definition and classification of fibrosis of the knee joint.
Kalson NS, Borthwick LA, Mann DA, Deehan DJ, Lewis P, Mann C, Mont MA, Morgan-Jones R, Oussedik S, Williams FM, Toms A, Argenson JN, Bellemans J, Bhave A, Furnes O, Gollwitzer H, Haddad FS, Hofmann S, Krenn V.
Bone Joint J. 2016 Nov;98-B(11):1479-1488.
11. Alignment and fixation in total knee arthroplasty: changing paradigms.
Oussedik S, Abdel MP, Cross MB, Haddad FS.
Bone Joint J. 2015 Oct;97-B(10 Suppl A):16-9
12. Treatment of articular cartilage lesions of the knee by microfracture or autologous chondrocyte implantation: a systematic review.
Oussedik S, Tsitskaris K, Parker D.
Arthroscopy. 2015 Apr;31(4):732-44
13. Zonal fixation in revision total knee arthroplasty.
Morgan-Jones R, Oussedik SI, Graichen H, Haddad FS.
Bone Joint J. 2015 Feb;97-B(2):147-9.
14. Clinical faceoff: Neutrally versus kinematically aligned TKA.
Abdel MP, Oussedik S, Cross MB.
Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015 Jan;473(1):27-31.
15. Coronal alignment in total knee replacement: historical review, contemporary analysis, and future direction.
Abdel MP, Oussedik S, Parratte S, Lustig S, Haddad FS.
Bone Joint J. 2014 Jul;96-B(7):857-62.
16. Shifting paradigms in knee arthroplasty.
Haddad FS, Oussedik S.
Bone Joint J. 2014 Jul;96-B(7):855-6.
17. Peer review.
Twaij H, Oussedik S, Hoffmeyer P.
Bone Joint J. 2014 Apr;96-B(4):436-41.
18. Pudendal nerve palsy in trauma and elective orthopaedic surgery.
Polyzois I, Tsitskaris K, Oussedik S.
Injury. 2013 Dec;44(12):1721-4.
19. Unsatisfactory accuracy with VISIONAIRE patient-specific cutting jigs for total knee arthroplasty.
Lustig S, Scholes CJ, Oussedik S, Coolican MR, Parker DA.
J Arthroplasty. 2014 Jan;29(1):249-50.
20. Bone loss during revision of unicompartmental to total knee arthroplasty: an analysis of implanted polyethylene thickness from the National Joint Registry data.
Sarraf KM, Konan S, Pastides PS, Haddad FS, Oussedik S.
J Arthroplasty. 2013 Oct;28(9):1571-4.
21. Unsatisfactory accuracy as determined by computer navigation of VISIONAIRE patient-specific instrumentation for total knee arthroplasty.
Lustig S, Scholes CJ, Oussedik SI, Kinzel V, Coolican MR, Parker DA.
J Arthroplasty. 2013 Mar;28(3):469-73.
22. Defining peri-prosthetic infection: do we have a workable gold standard?
Oussedik S, Gould K, Stockley I, Haddad FS.
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2012 Nov;94(11):1455-6.
23. Is femoral component rotation in a TKA reliably guided by the functional flexion axis?
Oussedik S, Scholes C, Ferguson D, Roe J, Parker D.
Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 Nov;470(11):3227-32.
24. Intraoperative computer navigation parameters are poor predictors of function 1 year after total knee arthroplasty.
Widmer BJ, Scholes CJ, Lustig S, Conrad L, Oussedik SI, Parker DA.
J Arthroplasty. 2013 Jan;28(1):56-61.
25. Insufficient evidence to recommend a specific bearing surface in implantable hip devices: comparative studies find little difference in outcomes.
Haddad F, Oussedik S.
Evid Based Med. 2013 Feb;18(1):22-3
26. Is femoral nerve block necessary during total knee arthroplasty?: a randomized controlled trial.
Widmer BJ, Scholes CJ, Pattullo GG, Oussedik SI, Parker DA, Coolican MR.
J Arthroplasty. 2012 Dec;27(10):1800-5.
27. Study lacks rigour to determine choice of hip resurfacing or arthroplasty.
Oussedik S, Konan S, Haddad F.
BMJ. 2012 May 28;344:e3667; author reply e3672.
28. Sagittal placement of the femoral component in total knee arthroplasty predicts knee flexion contracture at one-year follow-up.
Lustig S, Scholes CJ, Stegeman TJ, Oussedik S, Coolican MR, Parker DA.
Int Orthop. 2012 Sep;36(9):1835-9
29. Outcomes of revision total hip replacement for infection after grading according to a standard protocol.
Oussedik SI, Dodd MB, Haddad FS.
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010 Sep;92(9):1222-6.
30. Further doubts over the performance of treatment centres in providing elective orthopaedic surgery.
Oussedik S, Haddad F.
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009 Sep;91(9):1125-6.
31. Augmentation of bone growth onto the acetabular cup surface using bone marrow stromal cells in total hip replacement surgery.
Kalia P, Coathup MJ, Oussedik S, Konan S, Dodd M, Haddad FS, Blunn GW.
Tissue Eng Part A. 2009 Dec;15(12):3689-96.
32. The use of linezolid in the treatment of infected total joint arthroplasty.
Oussedik SI, Haddad FS.
J Arthroplasty. 2008 Feb;23(2):273-8.
33. Injuries to the clavicle and acromioclavicular joint.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2007 Apr;68(4):M68-70.
34. Spinal immobilization for the junior doctor.
Hudson BJ, Waller JR, Oussedik S.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2007 Mar;68(3):M48-9.
35. Hind foot fractures of the calcaneus and talus.
De Medici A, Oussedik S, Haddad F.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2006 Oct;67(10):M196-8.
36. Ankle fractures.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2006 Aug;67(8):M156-8.
37. New treatments for joint disease: what the future may bring.
Oussedik S, Haddad F.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2006 Jun;67(6):284.
38. Reduction of the dislocated shoulder.
Oussedik S, Haddad F.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2006 Feb;67(2):M32-3.
39. Aspiration of the elbow joint.
Oussedik S, Haddad F.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2006 Jan;67(1):M12-3
40. Manipulation and immobilization of Colles' fractures.
Oussedik S, Haddad F.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2005 Sep;66(9):M34-5.
41. Injuries to the distal radius.
Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2005 Aug;66(8):Suppl M16-8.
42. The management and treatment of cervical spine injuries.
Al-Khateeb H, Oussedik S.
Hosp Med. 2005 Jul;66(7):389-95.
43. Injuries to the lumbar spine: identification and management.
Woolard A, Oussedik S.
Hosp Med. 2005 Jul;66(7):384-8.
44. Cruciate ligament reconstruction.
Haddad FS, Oussedik SI.
Hosp Med. 2004 Jul;65(7):412-7.