Mr Wai Gin (Don) Lee, MBChB, PhD, FRACS completed his Urological training in Australia followed by sub-specialty training in Andrology and Penile Reconstruction at the Institute of Urology, University College London Hospital as the recipient of an Australasian Urological Foundation Travelling Fellowship. He was invited to join the department as a Consultant Urological Surgeon and Andrologist upon completion of his Fellowship.
His practice encompasses all aspects of male sexual health including erectile dysfunction, male infertility and Peyronie’s disease. He has a specialist interest in penile prosthetic surgery and penile reconstruction (phalloplasty) for gender affirmation surgery and those assigned male at birth.
He serves on the Executive Committee (Board) of the European and British Societies for Sexual Medicine (ESSM and BSSM). He is the Co-Chair for the International Society for Sexual Medicine Scientific Review Committee and serves on the Editorial Board of the Video Journal of Sexual Medicine. Teaching is a passion of his and he enjoys sharing his experience as faculty at the European School of Urology and as invited faculty at national and international conferences. He also jointly chairs the North Central London Andrology Working Group.
He has published multiple peer-reviewed research articles and book chapters. Additionally, he is an invited reviewer for European Urology, Journal of Urology, BJU International, Journal of Sexual Medicine and the International Journal of Impotence Research, among others.
Penile reconstruction (phalloplasty), erectile dysfunction, penile prostheses, Peyronie’s disease, priapism, genitourinary reconstruction, transmasculine gender affirmation surgery, male infertility
1. Chiriaco G, Looney A, Christopher N, Ralph D, Lee WG. The insertion of an erectile device in the neophallus of individuals assigned female at birth: a narrative review. Int. J. Impot. Res 2023.
2. Lee WG, Gordon P, Ralph D. Lightweight macroporous mesh can be used for corporal reconstruction during penile prosthesis surgery. J Sex. Med. 2023.
3. Pang K, Christopher N, Ralph D, Lee WG. Insertion of inflatable penile prosthesis in the neophallus of assigned female at birth individuals: a systematic review of surgical techniques, complications, and outcomes. Ther. Adv. Urol. 2023
4. Christopher N, Ralph D, Lee WG. The anterolateral thigh flap phalloplasty for individuals assigned female at birth. Eur. Urol. Focus. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euf.2022.12.011
5. Lee WG, Butler G, Carmichael P, Rashid T, Yasmin E, Morley R, Barrett J, Christopher N, Sangster P. Urological considerations for the use of GnRH analogues in transgender and non-binary adolescents. Eur. Urol. Focus. 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euf.2022.11.002
6. Lee WG, Christopher AN, Ralph DJ. Phalloplasty following penectomy for penile cancer. Asian J Urol. 2022; 9(4): 460-466 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajur.2022.05.005
7. Michael P, Peiris B, Johnson M, Ralph D, Lee WG. Genital reconstruction following Fournier’s gangrene. Sex Med Rev 2022. 2022 Aug. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.sxmr.2022.05.002
8. Lee WG, Christopher AN, Ralph DJ. Gender affirmation surgery, transmasculine. Urol Clin North Am. 2022; 49(3): 453-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ucl.2022.04.007
9. Lee WG, Tran PU, Grills R. Long-term outcomes of peritoneal dialysis catheters inserted by laparoscopic and percutaneous techniques in a single regional dialysis centre. ANZJS. 2022 Apr. https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.17644
10. Lee WG, Satchi M, Skrodzka M, Papavasileiou G, Ralph D. A rare cause of autoinflation after penile prosthesis insertion: case series and systematic review. J Sex Med. 2022 Feb. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsxm.2022.01.262
11. Lee WG, Ralph D. The role of penile reconstruction in gender affirmation surgery. Trends Urol Men’s Health. 2021; 12(6): 11-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/tre.825
12. Cakir O, Lee WG, Ralph P, Megson M, Ralph DJ. Advances in penile prosthesis surgery. Turk J Urol. 2020; 20: 23. https://doi.org/ 10.5152/tud.2020.20442
13. Reid TH, Lee WG, Christopher AN, Ralph DJ. Male genital reconstruction in the exstrophy-epispadias complex. Curr Sex Health Rep. 2020; 12: 74-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11930-020-00256-6
14. Lee WG, Christopher AN, Ralph DJ. Penile reconstruction and the role of surgery in gender dysphoria. Eur Urol Focus. 2019; 5(3): 337-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euf.2019.03.013
15. Davies S, McClintock G, Watson GF, Lee WG, Boulas J. Primary cutaneous amyloidosis of the prepuce – a novel presentation. J Clin Urol. 2017; 10(3): 314-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/2051415816689766
16. Winter M, Kam J, Nalavenkata S, Hardy E, Handmer M, Ainsworth H, Lee WG, Louie-Johnsun M. The use of portable video media vs standard verbal communication in the urological consent process: a multicentre, randomized controlled, crossover trial. BJU Int. 2016; 118(5): 823-8. https://doi.org/ 10.1111/bju.13595
17. Kam J, Ainsworth H, Winter M, Lee WG, Ruthven S. Silent bladder perforation. Brit J Hosp Med. 2015; 76(8): 486. https://doi.org/ 10.12968/hmed.2015.76.8.486
18. Handmer M, Winter M, Lee WG, Louie-Johnsun M. Unexpected tuberculosis causing ureteral stricture. ANZJS. 2014; 21: 21. https://doi.org/ 10.1111/ans.12938