Professor Francesco D'Aiuto qualified from the University of Naples, Italy in 1997. After attending a number of post-graduate courses in periodontology/implantology in Europ,e he completed his specialist training (MClinDent) at UCL, London in 2008.
He was appointed professor of periodontology and head of the periodontology unit at UCL in 2017. His clinical practice focuses on the management of periodontal diseases with special interest in performing periodontal regeneration, aesthetics and dental implantology procedures (including major gum and bone tissue augmentation).
Professor D'Aiuto started his research career with a clinical research fellowship from the Italian Society of Periodontology (2000) followed by a PhD in clinical periodontology (2005) both at UCL. He received several awards including the AAP clinical research award (2005 and 2019), Antony Rizzo Young Investigator Award in (2009) and a Clinical Senior Lectureship from the Department of Health in UK (2010).
He is an active member of national and international scientific societies in periodontology. Professor D'Aiuto is a recognised international speaker and he has co-authored more than 120 publications and abstracts.
The association of periodontal diseases with systemic diseases (i.e. diabetes), understanding the pathogenesis of periodontitis and discovery of innovative regenerative and surgical therapies.
- Pietropaoli, D., Monaco, A., D'Aiuto, F., Muñoz Aguilera, E., Ortu, E., Giannoni, M., . . . Del Pinto, R. (2020). Active gingival inflammation is linked to hypertension. Journal of hypertension. doi:10.1097/HJH.0000000000002514
- Machado, V., Aguilera, E. M., Botelho, J., Hussain, S. B., Leira, Y., Proença, L., . . . Mendes, J. J. (2020). Association between Periodontitis and High Blood Pressure: Results from the Study of Periodontal Health in Almada-Seixal (SoPHiAS). Journal of Clinical Medicine, 9 (5). doi:10.3390/jcm9051585
- Hussain, S. B., Botelho, J., Machado, V., Zehra, S. A., Mendes, J. J., Ciurtin, C., . . . Aiuto, F. D. (2020). Is there a bidirectional association between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontitis? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism. doi:10.1016/j.semarthrit.2020.01.009
- Suvan, J., Harrington, Z., Petrie, A., Patel, K., Darbar, U., Donos, N., & D'Aiuto, F. (2020). Obesity as Predictive Factor of Periodontal Therapy Clinical Outcomes.A Cohort Study. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. doi:10.1111/jcpe.13261
- Orlandi, M., Graziani, F., & D'Aiuto, F. (2020). Periodontal therapy and cardiovascular risk. Periodontology 2000, 83 (1), 107-124. doi:10.1111/prd.12299
- Sanz, M., Del Castillo, A. M., Jepsen, S., Gonzalez-Juanatey, J. R., D'Aiuto, F., Bouchard, P., . . . Wimmer, G. (2020). Periodontitis and Cardiovascular Diseases. Consensus Report. Global heart, 15 (1), 1. doi:10.5334/gh.400
- Leira, Y., Carballo, Á., Orlandi, M., Aldrey, J. M., Pías-Peleteiro, J. M., Moreno, F., . . . Blanco, J. (2020). Periodontitis and Systemic Markers of Neurodegeneration. A case-control study. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. doi:10.1111/jcpe.13267
- Trovato, L., Naro, F., D’Aiuto, F., & Moreno, F. (2020). Promoting Tissue Repair by Micrograft Stem Cells Delivery. Stem Cells International, 2020, 1-2. doi:10.1155/2020/2195318
- Sanz, M., Herrera, D., Kebschull, M., Chapple, I., Jepsen, S., Beglundh, T., . . . Wennström, J. (2020). Treatment of stage I–III periodontitis—The EFP S3 level clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 47 (S22), 4-60. doi:10.1111/jcpe.13290
- Czesnikiewicz-Guzik, M., D'Aiuto, F., & Deanfield, J. E. (2020). Understanding residual inflammatory risk sheds new light on the clinical importance of periodontitis in cardiovascular disease. European heart journal, 41 (7), 818-819. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa107