Professor Jason Warren graduated in medicine from the University of Adelaide (BMedSc(Hons) 1990; MBBS(Hons) 1993) and completed neurology training at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery and the Institute of Neurology, London (Australasian Fellow 1999; FRACP 2000; PhD 2005). He is professor of neurology at UCL (since 2014) and consultant neurologist at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (since 2005).
He has particular clinical expertise in the progressive aphasias, frontotemporal dementias, auditory agnosias and central disorders of hearing and the neurology of music. He has broad clinical interests in the wider field of cognitive and behavioural neurology.
Professor Warren leads a research group at the Dementia Research Centre focusing on the systems neuroscience of major dementias. This work integrates cognitive neuropsychology, physiological recordings, structural and functional MRI and MEG. Core research paradigms are complex sound (including speech and music) processing, socioemotional signal processing and 'molecular nexopathies' (how pathogenic protein characteristics,predict phenotypic effects across a range of neurodegenerative diseases). His group is particularly interested in identifying dynamic markers of protein pathophysiology in the working brain that could serve as tools for early diagnosis and guiding treatments.
1. Marshall CR, Hardy CJD, Russell LL, Bond RL, Sivasathiaseelan H, Greaves C, Dick KM, Agustus JL, van Leeuwen J, Wastling SJ, Rohrer JD, Kilner JM, Warren JD. (2019) The functional neuroanatomy of emotion processing in frontotemporal dementias. Brain 142(9):2873-2887. doi: 10.1093/brain/awz204.
2. Hardy CJD, Frost C, Sivasathiaseelan H, Johnson JCS, Agustus JL, Bond RL, Benhamou E, Russell LL, Marshall CR, Rohrer JD, Bamiou DE, Warren JD. (2019) Findings of impaired hearing in nonfluent/agrammatic variant primary progressive aphasia. JAMA Neurology, 76(5):607-611. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2018.4799.
3. Slattery CF, Agustus JL, Paterson RW, McCallion O, Foulkes AJM, Macpherson K, Carton AM, Harding E, Golden HL, Jaisin K, Mummery CJ, Schott JM, Warren JD. (2019) The functional neuroanatomy of musical memory in Alzheimer’s disease. Cortex 115: 357-370.
4. Fletcher PD, Downey LE, Golden HL, Clark CN, Slattery CF, Paterson RW, Rohrer JD, Schott JM, Rossor MN, Warren JD (2015) Pain and temperature processing in dementia: a clinical and neuroanatomical analysis. Brain 138: 3360-3372.
5. Warren JD, Rohrer JD, Schott JM, Fox NC, Hardy J, Rossor MN. (2013) Molecular nexopathies: a new paradigm of neurodegenerative disease. Trends in Neurosciences 36: 561-9.