Professor Stephanie Baldeweg is a consultant physician in diabetes and endocrinology at UCLH and honorary professor in the Department of Medicine at UCL. She graduated from Humboldt University, Berlin in 1990 and undertook her specialist training in London. She was awarded the MD for the thesis on “Insulin resistance and endothelial function in health and type 2 diabetes”.
Professor Baldeweg is the clinical lead of the Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology. She is committed to a holistic approach to patient care and to ensuring that patients have a good understanding all of the options available to them for their management. She and her team look after patients with diabetes and all endocrinological conditions working across specialties with strong collaborations with surgeons, radiologists, oncologists and gynaecologists. Professor Baldeweg has a strong clinical and academic interest in pituitary disease. She is the endocrine lead for the POEMS service.
Professor Baldeweg is a keen educator. She leads the local faculty group at UCLH and has regular teaching commitments for the UCL undergraduate students. She regularly lectures at national and international meetings as well as patient days for support groups such as Diabetes UK and the Pituitary Foundation.
She was made a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland in March 2009 (FRCPI) and a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London) in June 2009 (FRCP).
Aside from her clinical, educational and research duties, Professor Baldeweg has also held a number of external roles. These include: Chair of the Society for Endocrinology, Clinical Committee, Member of the SfE Public Engagement Committee, Associate Academic Dean at Health Education England, Associate Director for Higher Specialties Training, UCL Partners and Training programme Director for Diabetes & Endocrinology North/ Central London.
Professor Baldeweg is the Chair of the Clinical Committee, Society for Endocrinology. She is a Trustee of The Pituitary Foundation.
Professor Baldeweg is interested in all aspects of diabetes and endocrinology. She has a special clinical and research interest in pituitary disease. Her other interests include diabetes, thyroid and reproductive as well as osteoporosis, weight management and cardiovascular risk reduction. She also has an interest in pregnancy preparation for women with diabetes and endocrine disease.
- Endocrinology in the time of COVID-19: Management of adrenal insufficiency. Arlt W, Baldeweg SE, Pearce SHS, Simpson HL.Eur J Endocrinol. 2020 Jul;183(1):G25-G32. doi: 10.1530/EJE-20-0361
- Temporal trends in craniopharyngioma management and long-term endocrine outcomes: a multicentre cross-sectional study, Hussein Z, Glynn N, … Baldeweg SE Clin Endocrinology, 2020 in print
- Rathke’s cleft cysts following transsphenoidal surgery: long-term outcomes and development of an optimal follow-up strategy.Hani J. Marcus, Anouk Borg, Ziad Hussein, Zane Jaunmuktane, Stephanie E. Baldeweg, Joan Grieve, Neil L. Dorward Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2020; 162(4): 853–861.
- Significant Benefits of AIP Testing and Clinical Screening in Familial Isolated and Young-onset Pituitary Tumors. Pedro Marques, Francisca Caimari, Laura C Hernández-Ramírez, David Collier, Donato Iacovazzo, Amy Ronaldson, Kesson Magid, Chung Thong Lim, Karen Stals, Sian Ellard, Ashley B Grossman, Márta Korbonits, FIPA Consortium, J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Jun; 105(6): e2247–e2260
- The Natural History of POEMS Syndrome: clinical characteristics, risk factors and outcomes. Stephen Keddie , David Foldes, Francisca Caimari, Stephanie E Baldeweg, Joshua Bomsztyk, Oliver J Ziff, Janev Fehmi, Aviva Cerner, Zane Jaunmuktane, Kwee Yong, Hadi Manji, Aisling Carr, Simon Rinaldi, Mary M Reilly, Shirley D'Sa, and Michael P Lunn Neurology; 2020 Jul 21;95(3)
- Outcomes of patients with Nelson's syndrome after primary treatment: a multicenter study from 13 UK Pituitary centers A. Fountas, E.S. Lim, W.M. Drake, A.S. Powlson, M. Gurnell, N.M. Martin, K. Seejore, R.D. Murray, J. MacFarlane, R. Ahluwalia, F. Swords, M. Ashraf, A. Pal, Z. Chong, M. Freel, T. Balafshan, T.S. Purewa2, R.G. Speak, J. Newell-Price, C.E. Higham, Z. Hussein, S.E. Baldeweg, J. Dales, N. Reddy, M.J. Levy, N. Karavitaki, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2020 May 1;105(5)
- The use of computed tomography as a first-line imaging modality in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism. de Jong MC, Jamal K, Morley S, Beale T, Chung T, Jawad S, Hurel S, Simpson H, Srirangalingam U, Baldeweg SE, Rozalén García V, Otero S, Shawky M, Abdel-Aziz TE, Kurzawinski TR.Hormones (Athens). 2020 May 13 doi: 10.1007/s42000-020-00205-x. Online
- Off-label use and misuse of testosterone, growth hormone, thyroid hormone, and adrenal supplements: Risks and costs of a growing problem. Irwig MS, Fleseriu M, Jonklaas J, Tritos NA, Yuen KCJ, Correa R, Elhomsy G, Garla V, Jasim S, Soe K, Baldeweg SE, Boguszewski CL, Bancos I.Endocr Pract. 2020 Mar;26(3):340-353
- Craniopharyngioma in children: trends from a third consecutive single-center cohort study. Marcus HJ, Rasul FT, Hussein Z, Baldeweg SE, Spoudeas HA, Hayward R, Jeelani NUO, Thompson D, Grieve JP, Dorward NL, Aquilina K.J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2019 Dec 20:1-9. doi: 10.3171/2019.10.PEDS19147
- Prevalence and Course of Endocrinopathy in POEMS Syndrome Caimari F, Keddie S, Lunn MP, D'Sa S, Baldeweg SE. . J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Jun 1;104(6):2140-2146. doi: 10.1210/jc.2018-01516.
- Society for Endocrinology Clinical Committee. Society for Endocrinology Clinical Guidance: Inpatient management of cranial diabetes insipidus. Baldeweg SE, Ball S, Brooke A, Gleeson HK, Levy MJ, Prentice M, Wass JEndocr Connect. 2018 Jul;7(7):G8-G11. doi: 10.1530/EC-18-0154.
- Increased Population Risk of AIP-Related Acromegaly and Gigantism in Ireland. Radian S, Diekmann Y, Gabrovska P, Holland B, Bradley L, Wallace H, Stals K, Bussell AM, McGurren K, Cuesta M, Ryan AW, Herincs M, Hernández-Ramírez LC, Holland A, Samuels J, Aflorei ED, Barry S, Dénes J, Pernicova I, Stiles CE, Trivellin G, McCloskey R, Ajzensztejn M, Abid N, Akker SA, Mercado M, Cohen M, Thakker RV, Baldeweg S, Barkan A, Musat M, Levy M, Orme SM, Unterländer M, Burger J, Kumar AV, Ellard S, McPartlin J, McManus R, Linden GJ, Atkinson B, Balding DJ, Agha A, Thompson CJ, Hunter SJ, Thomas MG, Morrison PJ, Korbonits M. Hum Mutat. 2017 Jan;38(1):78-85. doi: 10.1002/humu.23121. Epub 2016 Oct 4
- Pituitary Carcinoma in a Patient with an SDHB Mutation Nicola Tufton & Federico Roncaroli2 & Irene Hadjidemetriou1 & Mary N Dang & Judit Dénes & Leonardo Guasti & Maria Thom & Michael Powell &Stephanie E Baldeweg & Naomi Fersht & Márta Korbonits. , Endocr Pathol. 2017 Dec;28(4):320-325. doi: 10.1007/s12022-017-9474-7.
- The screening and management of pituitary dysfunction following traumatic brain injury in adults: British Neurotrauma Group guidance.Tan CL, Alavi SA, Baldeweg SE, Belli A, Carson A, Feeney C, Goldstone AP, Greenwood R, Menon DK, Simpson HL, Toogood AA, Gurnell M, Hutchinson PJ. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2017 Nov;88(11):971-981. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2016-315500. Epub 2017 Aug 31
- Do peer review models affect clinicians' trust in journals? A survey of junior doctors. Patel J, Pierce M, Boughton SL, Baldeweg SE. Res Integr Peer Rev. 2017 Jun 29;2:11. doi: 10.1186/s41073-017-0029-8. eCollection 2017
- UK Cabergoline valvulopathy study group.A follow-up study of the prevalence of valvular heart abnormalities in hyperprolactinemic patients treated with cabergoline Drake WM1, Stiles CE1, Bevan JS2, Karavitaki N3, Trainer PJ4, Rees DA5, Richardson TI6, Baldeweg SE7, Stojanovic N8, Murray RD9, Toogood AA10, Martin NM11, Vaidya B12, Han TS13, Steeds RP14, Baldeweg FC7, Sheikh UE12, Kyriakakis N9, Parasuraman S2, Taylor L14, Butt N6, Anyiam S4;. Clin Endocrinol Metab, November 2016, 101(11):4189–4194
- Society for Endocrinology endocrine emergency guidance. Emergency management of pituitary apoplexy in adult patients. Stephanie E Baldeweg, Mark Vanderpump, Will Drake, Narendra Reddy,Andrew Markey, Gordon T Plant, Michael Powell, Saurabh Sinha, John Wass and the Society for Endocrinology Clinical Committee.: Endocr Connect. 2016 Sep;5(5):G12-G15.
- Iatrogenic Cushing’s syndrome due to drug interaction between glucocorticoids and the ritonavir or cobicistat containing HIV therapies: a review and recommendations for clinical practice Elliott E, Theodoraki E, Walters L, Baldeweg SE .. Clin Med (Lond). 2016 Oct;16(5):412-418
- Landscape of Familial Isolated and Young-Onset Pituitary Adenomas: Prospective Diagnosis in AIP Mutation Carriers Hernández-Ramírez LC, Gabrovska P, Dénes J, Stals K, Trivellin G, Tilley D, Ferrau F, Evanson J, Ellard S, Grossman AB, Roncaroli F, Gadelha MR, Korbonits M; International FIPA Consortium. . J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Sep;100(9):E1242-54
- Heterogeneous genetic background of the association of pheochromocytoma/paraganglioma and pituitary adenoma: results from a large patient cohort Dénes J, Swords F, Rattenberry E, Stals K, Owens M, Cranston T, Xekouki P, Moran L, Kumar A, Wassif C, Fersht N, Baldeweg SE et al Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Mar;100(3):E531-41. doi: 10.1210/jc.2014-3399
- Active and silent TSH-expressing pituitary adenomas: presenting symptoms, treatment, outcomes and recurrence.Kirkman MA, Jaunmuktane Z, Brandner S, Khan A, Powell M, Baldeweg SE. World Neurosurg. 2014 Mar 18. pii: S1878-8750(14)00279-4. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2014.03.031 Review. PMID: 24657816
- A cross-sectional study of the prevalence of cardiac valvular abnormalities in hyperprolactinemic patients treated with ergot-derived dopamine agonists Drake WM et al ; UK Dopamine Agonist Valvulopathy Group...J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jan;99(1):90-6. doi: 10.1210/jc.2013-2254. Epub 2013 Dec 20.PMID:24187407
- Familial pituitary adenoma and paraganglioma syndrome - a novel type of multiple endocrine neoplasia. Denes J, Swords FM, Xekouki P, Kumar AV, Maher ER, Ferscht N, Grieve J, Baldeweg SE, Stratakis CA, Korbonits M: Endocrine Rev 2012;33:OR41-OR42
- Missed opportunities for diabetes prevention: National practice of post- pregnancy follow-up of women with gestational diabetes mellitus in England. Pierce M, Modder J, Mortagy I, Hughes H, Baldeweg SE. Br J Gen Pract. 2011 Oct;61(591):e611-9.
- An objective scoring tool in the management of patients with pituitary apoplexy Reddy NL, Rajasekaran S, Han TS, Theodoraki A, Drake W, Vanderpump M, Baldeweg SE, Wass JA.: (2011) ..Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2011 Apr 28. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2265.2011.04081.
- National guidelines for the management of pituitary apoplexy Rajasekaran S, Vanderpump MV, Baldeweg SE et al (2010): Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2011 Jan;74(1):9-20. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2265.
- Integrating preconception care for women with diabetes into primary care Mortagy,I, Pierce M, Baldeweg SE et al (2010).. Br J Gen Pract. 2010 Nov;60(580):815-21
- Characterization of aryl hydrocarbon receptor interacting protein (AIP) mutations in familial isolated pituitary adenoma families Igreja S, Chahal HS, King P et al .. Hum Mutat. 2010 Aug;31(8):950-60.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis: diagnosis and management in adults Theodorakis K, Baldeweg SE . . Foundation Years Journal 2008. Sept; 2 (7): 309-312
- Clustering of insulin resistance with vascular dysfunction and low-grade inflammation in type 2 diabetes Diabetes.Natali A, Toschi E, Baldeweg SE et al, 2006 Apr;55(4):1133-40.
- A spectrum of behaviour in silent corticotroph pituitary adenomas Baldeweg SE, Pollock JR, Powell M et al. . British Journal of Neurosurgery. 2005, Volume 19, Number 1, February 2005, pp. 38-42(5)
- Haematocrit, type 2 diabetes, and endothelium-dependent vasodilatation of resistance vessels Natali A, Toschi E, Baldeweg S et al .. Eur Heart J. 2005 Mar;26(5):464-71. Epub 2005 Feb 3.
- Aspirin use for prevention of vascular complications in diabetes. Baldeweg SE, Hurel SJ. Pract Diab Int , 316-317, Sept 2004
- Vascular effects of improving metabolic control with metformin or rosiglitazone in type 2 diabetes Natali A, Baldeweg S, Toschi E et al .. Diabetes Care. 2004 Jun;27(6):1349-57.
- Identification of adrenocorticotropin receptor messenger ribonucleic Acid in the human pituitary and its loss of expression in pituitary adenomas DG. Morris, B Kola, N Borboli et al Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003 Dec; 88 (12):6080-7
- Partial lipodystrophy, polycystic ovary syndrome and proteinuria: a common link to insulin resistance? Blackwell VC, Salis D, Groves RW, Baldeweg SE et al. J R Soc Med 2001; 94: 238-240.
- Insulin resistance, lipid and fatty acid concentrations in 867 healthy Europeans.Baldeweg SE, Golay A, Natali A et al. Eur J Clin Invest 2000; 30: 45-52.
- The relationship between obesity, vascular reactivity and endothelial dysfunction in subjects with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.Baldeweg SE, Pink AM, Yudkin JS et al. Int J Obes.Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24 Suppl 2: S134-S135.
Reviews and book chapters:
- Pituitary Apoplexy. Book chapter SE Baldeweg in Advanced Practice in Endocrine Nursing. Editor Ashley Grossman 3319998153 2019
- Management of antipsychotic related hyperprolactinemia in older people: Can we extrapolate from existing guidance? Reeves S, Sugita E, Baldeweg SE, Howard R. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2018 Dec;33(12):1743-1744. doi: 10.1002/gps.4989. Epub 2018 Sep 14.
- Management of patients with thyroid eye disease Karra E, Yousseif A, Rose GE, Baldeweg SE .. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2016 Jan;77(1):C6-9. doi: 10.12968/hmed.2016.77.1.C6.
- Clinical assessment of patients with thyroid eye disease.Karra E, Yousseif A, Rose GE, Baldeweg SE. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2016 Jan;77(1):C2-5. doi: 10.12968/hmed.2016.77.1.C2.
- Acromegaly Yousseif A, Karra E, Baldeweg SE.. Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 2012 Aug;73(8):C119-23.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus Theodoraki A, Baldeweg SE (2008). Br J Hosp Med (Lond) Oct;69(10):562-7
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis: diagnosis and management in adults Theodoraki A, Baldeweg SE (2008) Foundation Years Journal Sept 2 (7): 309-312
- Pituitary disorders: an overview for the general physician.Thorogood N, Baldeweg SE (2008) Br J Hosp Med (Lond). Apr;69(4):198-204.
- Early postoperative management of pituitary tumors: in Management of Pituitary Tumors, Powell M, Pollock JR, Baldeweg SE, Lightman SL (2003) Ed. Powell M, Lightman SL, Laws ER, Sec Edition, Humana Press, 173-180
- Implications of the United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study in Clinical Practice: Baldeweg SE and Yudkin JS (1999) Primary Care: Clinics in Office practice, Diabetes, 26, 809-827
- Current and future management of type 2 diabetes Baldeweg SE, Patel J and Coppack SW (1998). CMF Diabetes: 8-10
- ABC of diabetes. Baldeweg SE (1998) Hospital Medicine Vol 59 (No7): 588