Mr Simon Gane is a consultant ENT surgeon, appointed to the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital in 2017. He has a sub speciality interest in surgery of the nose, sinuses and anterior skull base, rhinology, nasal inflammatory disease, vasculitis, olfaction and Hereditary Haemorrhagic Telangiectasia (HHT).
He graduated from the University of Cape Town, South Africa and completed his Higher Surgical training in the North Thames Deanery. He completed an MPhil in the physics of olfaction at UCL.
Mr Gane is an honorary research fellow at the Institute of Philosophy, Centre for the Study of the Senses, School of Advanced Study, University of London and the Department of Psychology, City of London University. He also a member of the British and European Rhinology Societies, the Centre for Olfactory Research and Application and the european Clinical Olfactory Working Group (COWOG).
Mr Gane is a trustee for the Rhinology and Laryngology Research Fund as well as Abscent, a charity for people with smell loss.
His research interests are in olfaction, nasal inflammatory disease, complex medical rhinology, novel therapies for nasal disease and hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia.
- Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH): an unusual cause of airway obstruction Hoey AW, Dusu K, Gane S. BMJ Case Rep Published online: 2017–02–25
- Plausibility of the vibrational theory of olfaction. Turin L, Gane S, Georganakis D, et al. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2015;112:E3154.
- Audit of nasal lysine aspirin therapy in recalcitrant aspirin exacerbated respiratory disease Rachel Howe, Rita M Mirakian, Prathap Pillai, Simon Gane, Yvonne C Darby and Glenis K Scadding World Allergy Organization Journal, 7:18 (29 Jul 2014)
- Double-blind, Placebo Controlled Randomised Trial of Medical Therapy in Otitis Media with Effusion Glenis Kathleen Scadding, Yvonne Colette Darby, Anna Jansz, David Richards, Helen Tate and Simon Gane Advances in Life Sciences and Health 2014/09/09
- Molecular Vibration-Sensing Component in Human Olfaction. Gane, S., Georginakis, D., Maniati, K.,Vamvakis, M., Ragoussis,N., Skoulakis, E., Turin, L. PLoS ONE, 8(1), e55780.
- Lack of efficacy of long-term, low-dose azithromycin in chronic rhinosinusitis: a randomized controlled trial. Videler, W. J., Badia, L., Harvey, R. J., Gane, S., Georgalas, C., van der Meulen, F. W., Menger, D. J., Lehtonen, M. T., Toppila, Salmi, S. K., Vento, S. I., Hytönen, M., Hellings, P. W., Kalogjera, L., Lund, V. J., Scadding, G., Mullol, J. and Fokkens, W. J. 2011,. Allergy, 66: 1457–1468. 2011
- Nanomedicine in otorhinolaryngology: what does the future hold? Philpott CM, Gane S, McKiernan D. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2011 Apr; 268(4):489–96. Epub 2010 Nov 27
- What we don’t know about olfaction part 1: nostril to receptor S Gane Rhinology. 2010, vol. 48, no2, pp. 131–138
- Diseases mimicking allergic Rhinitis SBC Gane and GK Scadding Paediatric Allergy and Immunology Volume 2009; 21(1) Part II:e114 - e118
- Audit Service Provision in UK Hospital NHS Trusts PG Stimpson, P O’Flynn, S Gane, M Christie and RR Patel The Otolaryngologist 2007 Vol(3):139 – 141
- Rolled auricular cartilage grafts for dorsal augmentation rhinoplasty S. Gane, S. Jayaraj, P. Andrews, C. East. J Laryngol Otol. 2004 Aug;118(8): 659–60.
- A novel method for replacement of a blocked fine bore nasogastric tube. C Panagamuwa, S Gane, D Hajioff J Laryngol Otol. 2003 Nov, Vol: 117(11): 883–4
- Epistaxis due to Traumatic Internal Carotid Artery Aneurysm Pandora J. Hadfield, Simon B. Gane, Susanna E. Leighton Int.J Paed Otolaryn 66 (2002) 193 – 196
- An Unusual Nosebleed S Gane (Abstract ) J Laryngol Otol. 2002 Mar; 116(3):236–53
- Intranasal Schwannoma S Gane (Abstract) J Laryngol Otol. 2001 Apr; 115(4):350–351
Non-peer reviewed publications:
- Patent application number 1513113.9 “Technique for harvesting olfactory sensory neurons from the nose” Applicants: Gurria, Gabi, Logan, Darren and Gane, Simon and Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute 24 July 2015UK
- Patent number GB 1004800.7**:“Means for locating sub-surface metal” Applicants: Prieto Edo, Adelaida and Stoneham, Marshall and Gane, Simon and UCL Business Plc 23 March 2010
- "Diplomatosis – The DOHNS Diploma” S.Gane BMJ Career Focus 2005 329:10