Dr Chowdhury is a consultant neurologist and neurophysiologist at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN).
Dr Chowdhury qualified from Edinburgh Medical School in 2003, with a BSc (Hons) in Neuroscience in 2000. She gained MRCP in 2006 and completed a PhD in Epilepsy in 2012 from King's College, University of London. She trained in Neurology in London and undertook a fellowship in Complex Epilepsy at the National Hospital.
She has a special interest in epilepsy, and in particular patients whose seizures do not respond to medical treatment, to investigate whether they may be candidates for epilepsy surgery. She is the clinical lead of the videotelemetry unit at the NHNN.
- Chowdhury FA, Nashef, L, Elwes RDC. Misdiagnosis in epilepsy: a review and recognition of diagnostic uncertainty. European Journal of Neurology 2008; 15 (10):1034-42.
- Benjamin O, Fitzgerald TH, Ashwin P, Tsaneva-Atanasova K, Chowdhury FA, Richardson MP, Terry JR. A phenomenological model of seizure initiation suggests network structure may explain seizure frequency in idiopathic generalised epilepsy.J Math Neurosci. 2012 Jan 6;2(1):1.
- Chowdhury FA, Elwes RD, Koutroumanidis M, Morris RG, Nashef L, Richardson MP. Impaired cognitive function in idiopathic generalized epilepsy and unaffected family members: An epilepsy endophenotype. Epilepsia. 2014 Jun;55(6):835-40.
- Chowdhury FA, O'Gorman RL, Nashef L, Elwes RD, Edden RA, Murdoch JB, Barker GJ, Richardson MP. Investigation of glutamine and GABA levels in patients with idiopathic generalized epilepsy using MEGAPRESS. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014 Mar;41(3):694-9.
- Chowdhury FA, Woldman W, FitzGerald TH, Elwes RD, Nashef L, Terry JR, Richardson MP. Revealing a brain network endophenotype in families with idiopathic generalised epilepsy.PLoS One. 2014 Oct 10;9(10). e110136.
- Chowdhury FA, Pawley AD, Ceronie B, Nashef L, Elwes RD, Richardson MP. Motor evoked potential polyphasia: A novel endophenotype of idiopathic generalized epilepsy. Neurology. 2015 Mar 31;84(13):1301-7.
- Chowdhury FA, Connor S, Ferner R, Leschziner G. Focal inhibitory seizures: a cause of recurrent transient weakness. Pract Neurol. 2015;10.1136.
- Schmidt H, Woldman W, Goodfellow M, Chowdhury FA, Koutroumanidis M, Jewell S, Richardson MP, Terry JR. A computational biomarker of idiopathic generalized epilepsy from resting state EEG. Epilepsia. 2016 Oct;57(10):e200-e204.
- Bashford JA, Chowdhury FA, Shaw CE.Remarkable motor recovery after riboflavin therapy in adult-onset Brown-Vialetto-Van Laere syndrome. Pract Neurol. 2017 Jan;17(1):53-56.
- Pawley AD, Chowdhury FA, Tangwiriyasakul C, Ceronie B, Elwes RD, Nashef L, Richardson MP. Cortical excitability correlates with seizure control and epilepsy duration in chronic epilepsy. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2017 Jan 19;4(2):87-97.