Sonita Koshal is clinical lead and consultant in Oral Surgery at the Eastman Dental Hospital.
She completed her undergraduate dentistry degree at Guys, Kings & St Thomas School of Dentistry. She then worked in various oral and maxillofacial surgery units across London and south east coast.
She obtained her Membership to the Faculty in Dental Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2007.
In 2011 she gained her membership in Surgical Dentistry and became a fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Sonita did her specialist training in Oral Surgery at the Eastman Dental Hospital, University College London Hospital. She also completed postgraduate certificates in Medical Education and Healthcare Management.
Her present post includes clinical, research, management and educational roles. She is the Associate Dental Dean for Dental Core and Specialty Trainees across London & Kent, Surrey & Sussex. She is also the Chair of the london Oral Surgery Managed Clinical Network.
She is involved in postgraduate assessment and is an examiner for the MFDS, ORE and M Oral Surgery examinations, which she is lead examiner for the written component.
- Dental and medical education
- Digital technology
- Blanchard JR, Koshal S, Morley S, McGurk M. The use of mixed reality in dentistry. British Dental Journal. 2022. Vol 233. 261-265
- Virdee JK, Thakrar I, Shah R, Koshal S. Going electronic: an Epic move. British Dental Journal. British Dental Journal. 2022. Vol 233. 55-58
- Blanchard JR, Koshal S, Navaratnam A, Machin JT, Briggs TWR, Jones E. Hospital dentistry litigation in England: clinical negligence claims against the NHS 2015-2020. British dental journal. Sept 6; 1-6
- Patel S, Mudhar O, Koshal S. The impact of Covid 19 on oral surgery post-operative patient complications and communications within the oral surgery department at the Eastman Dental Hospital. 2021. Vol 2, no. 6
- Sandhu BK, Blanchard JR, Koshal S. Covid-19 The impact on wellbeing of the dental team in a secondary care urgent dental hub. 2021. British Dental Journal. August 26;1-6
- Virdee JK, Garcha P, Savla A, Koshal S. Accepting the COVID-19 vaccine: supporting informed decision making. Faculty Dental Journal, RCS Eng. 2021, vol 12, no. 3
- Patel VA, Naqvi A, Koshal S. A benign, low-grade Myofibroblastic lesion mimicking a sarcoma. Journal of surgical case reports. 2020 (3); rjaa020
- Wali R, Halai T, Koshal S. WHO surgical safety checklist training: An alternative approach to training in local safety standards for invasive procedures. European Journal of Dental Education. 2020 Feb 29; 24 (1): 71-78
- Wali R, Halai T, Koshal S. A review of Head and Neck Clinical Anatomy for the General Dental Practitioner. Dental Update. 2020; 47: 62-70
- Halai T, Naqvi A, Steel C, Koshal S. Sedation techniques for Dental Practitioners. Complications of Conscious Sedation: Causes and Management. Dental Update. 2017; 44: 1034-1040
- Tanna N, Koshal S. Rare sialoliths of the minor salivary glands: a case series and review of the literature. British Journal of Oral Surgery. 2016, Volume 9, Issue 2, pg 107-112
- Naqvi A, Steel C, Koshal S. Spontaneous complete resolution of a radiolucency associated with an impacted mandibular third molar. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2016 Feb;54(2):e29-30
- Koshal S. Rare Stones: A Case series. Journal of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology. 2014, Vol. 117, Issue 5, p e379
- Koshal S. Induction training for senior house officers in oral and maxillofacial surgery: literature review and local evaluation. British Dental Journal, Education section & CPD. 2012 July. No. 213, p 73- 76
- Koshal S, Chaudhry S, Johnson A, Porter SR. A case of idiopathic loss of the deciduous teeth and associated alveolus. British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. 2012 July, Vol. 5, Issue 3, p e78-e80
- Koshal S, Eyeson J, Patel J. Unusual maxillary branch paraesthesia after an articaine inferior alveolar nerve block. British Journal of Oral Surgery. 2011 Aug, Vol. 4, Issue 3, p 130- 134
- Monteiro M, Koshal S, Francis I, Burkhill G, Altman K, Herold J, Dikomite J. Evaluation of a fast-track service for the provision of radiologically inserted gastrostomy (RIG) tubes in head and neck cancer patients. British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. 2009 Oct, Vol. 47,Issue 7,pe5
- Woolcombe S, Koshal S, Bryant C, Rood JP. Use of Intravenous Sedation in the management of Patients with High Blood Pressure. British Journal of Oral Surgery. 2009 Aug, Vol. 2, Issue 3, p 116-125
- Monteiro M, Altman K, Koshal S. Extra-oral Extrusion of a Bio-resorbable Screw. British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. 2008 July, Vol. 46, Issue 5, p 425-426