Jessica Farren studied preclinical medicine at the University of Cambridge, before moving to University College London to complete her clinical undergraduate training in 2008. She specialised in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, undertaking postgraduate training in North-West London, and developing a specialist interest in emergency gynaecology and early pregnancy care. She was awarded the Prize Medal in the membership examination for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) in 2014.
Jessica’s PhD focused on the psychological impact of early pregnancy loss. She has published and presented this work widely, influencing policy and service in early pregnancy. Jessica remains committed to improving recognition of the profound emotional consequences of miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy.
Jessica is a member of the committee that produces patient information for the RCOG. She is also an ambassador for the pregnancy loss charity ‘Saying Goodbye’. She is regularly invited to give lectures on pregnancy loss for professionals, and has written chapters in textbooks and online resources for training.
Jessica joined UCLH as a consultant in 2022. She works as part of the Gynaecology outpatient diagnostic and treatment unit, as well as performing gynaecological surgery and providing emergency gynaecological care.
Early pregnancy (including diagnosis and prediction pregnancy loss, psychological aspects of pregnancy loss)
- J Farren, M Jalmbrant, N Falconieri, N Mitchell-Jones, S Bobdiwala, M Al-Memar, N Parker, B Van Calster, D Timmerman, T Bourne; Prognostic Factors for post-traumatic stress, anxiety and depression in women after early pregnancy loss: a multi-centre prospective cohort study, BMJ Open, March 2022
- J Farren, M Jalmbrant, N Falconieri, N Mitchell Jones, S Bobdiwala, M Al-memar, S Tapp, B Van Calster, L Wynants, D Timmerman, T Bourne; Differences in post‐traumatic stress, anxiety and depression following miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy between women and their partners: a multicenter prospective cohort study, Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, October 2020
- N Mitchell-Jones… J Farren et al; Association between hyperemesis gravidarum and psychological symptoms, psychological outcomes and infant bonding: a two-point prospective case-control multicenter survey study in an inner city setting;BMJ Open, October 2020
- Christodoulou E…Farren J et al; External validation of models to predict the outcome of pregnancies of unknown location: a multicentre cohort study; BJOG, 2020
- J Farren, M Jalmbrant, N Falconieri, N Mitchell Jones, S Bobdiwala, M Al-memar, S Tapp, B Van Calster, L Wynants, D Timmerman, T Bourne; Post-traumatic stress, anxiety and depression following miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy: a multicenter, prospective, cohort study, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, April 2020
- M Al-Memar… J Farren et al; First-trimester intrauterine hematoma and pregnancy complications, Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, April 2020
- S Bobdiwala, E Christodolou, J Farren et al; Triaging women with pregnancy of unknown location using two-step protocol including M6 model: clinical implementation study; Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Jan 2020
- M Al-Memar… J Farren et al; Early pregnancy events and subsequent antenatal, delivery and neonatal outcomes: prospective cohort study; Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, October 2019
- J Farren, N Mitchell-Jones, JY Verbakel, D Timmerman, M Jalmbrant, T Bourne; The psychological impact of early pregnancy loss,Human Reproduction Update, December 2018
- N Mitchell-Jones, J Farren et al; Ambulatory versus inpatient management of severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: a randomised control trial with patient preference arm; BMJ Open, December 2017
- S Bobdiwala,M Al-Memar, J Farren, T Bourne; Factors to consider in pregnancy of unknown location; Women's Health, June 2017
- N Mitchell-Jones…J Farren et al; Psychological morbidity associated with hyperemesis gravidarum: a systematic review and meta-analysis.; BJOG, Jan 2017
- J Farren, M Jalmbrant, L Ameye, K Joash, N Mitchell-Jones, S Tapp, D Timmerman, T Bourne; Post-traumatic stress, anxiety and depression following miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy: a prospective cohort study, BMJ Open, Nov 2016
- BP Jones… J Farren et al; Intraoperative ultrasound guided laparoscopic ovarian tissue preserving surgery in the treatment of recurrent borderline ovarian tumors; Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, November 2016
- J Farren, T Bourne; The psychological impact of early pregnancy loss. Nursing in Practice 2016; (Oct midwife sup)
- B Van Calster…J Farren et al; Managing pregnancy of unknown location based on initial serum progesterone and serial serum hCG: development and validation of a two-step triage protocol; Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, January 2016
- J Preisler… J Farren et al; Defining safe criteria to diagnose miscarriage: prospective observational multicentre study, BMJ, 2015