Joseph Manjaly is a consultant otologist, auditory implant & ENT surgeon, specialising in ear and hearing problems for adults and children.
He qualified from the University of Bristol in 2008, became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 2011 and subsequently earned a position on the North Thames ENT High Surgical Training Programme after ranking amongst the highest trainees in the country. Training in all aspects of ENT surgery followed at units including London North West University NHS Trust, Great Ormond Street Hospital, Imperial College NHS Trust and the Royal National Throat Nose & Ear Hospital.
After being awarded fellowship of the Royal College of surgeons (FRCS-ORLHNS), he started to further focus his skills in the area of hearing restoration surgery for children & adults. He then undertook an internationally-renowned fellowship in otology & implant surgery at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, gaining further experience in advanced and complex ear and hearing surgery.
On completion of fellowship training, Joe was appointed as a consultant back at the Royal National Throat Nose & Ear Hospital (Now Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals) and University College London Hospitals. In addition to his clinical work, Joe makes an active contribution to ENT in the UK and beyond. He has presented research internationally and is an honorary clinical associate professor at the UCL Ear Institute. He leads an otology strategy group that drives excellence within research, education and service development in ear and hearing surgery at the Royal National ENT Hospital. He is also a core member of the microtia & craniofacial multidisciplinary team based at the Royal Free Hospital, London.
Joe regularly undertakes operations that include tympanoplasty for ear drum retractions & perforations, ossiculoplasty using microscopic techniques and prostheses, stapedectomy for otosclerosis, and tympanomastoid surgery for cholesteatoma. He is rare in routinely offering middle ear surgeries under local anaesthetic which allows a quicker recovery and the ability to monitor hearing during surgery. As a hearing implant surgeon he performs cochlear implantation, bone conduction implantation and active middle ear implantation. As part of this full range of treatment options he advises on when hearing aids are most suitable and thus provides the maximum number of options for hearing rehabilitation whatever the degree of hearing loss.
He has a long-held interest in teaching and training regionally & nationally. He is the author of the popular trainee textbooks 'ENT OSCEs' and 'Advanced ENT Training', both published by CRC press. He has also held a number of national positions, including as council member for the British Society of Otology and the Royal Society of Medicine Otology Section.
- ENT OSCEs: A Guide to Passing the DO-HNS and MRCS (ENT) OSCE
J. Manjaly, P. Kullar, A.Carter, R. Fox
CRC Press (Masterpass Series) 2017, ISBN-10: 1138635944
- Advanced ENT Training: A Guide to Passing the FRCS (ORL-HNS)
J. Manjaly, P. Kullar
CRC Press (Masterpass series) 2019; ISBN-10: 0367202514
- Stapes Surgery for Profound Hearing Loss Secondary to Otosclerosis.
Dwyer-Hemmings L, Manjaly JG, Nash R, Mukherjee A, Lavy JA
Ear Nose Throat J. 2019; Epub ahead of print
- Hearing Preservation with Standard Length Electrodes in Paediatric Cochlear Implantation.
Manjaly JG, Nash R, Ellis W, Britz A, Lavy JA, Shaida A, Saeed SR, Khalil SS.
Otol Neurotol. 2018; 39(9):1109-1114
- Prophylactic use of fibrin sealant (ARTISS™) for facilitating safe transition to drain-free thyroid surgery: A single-centre case series review of 109 procedures.
Heyes R, Ramdoo K, Manjaly JG, Charn TC, Tatla T
Clin Otolaryngol. 2017; 42(5):1081-1085.
- An update on Managing Ménière's disease in Elderly Patients
Mackay PP, Manjaly JG, Croxson SC
Geriatric Medicine 2016; 46:8-11
- National prospective cohort study of peritonsillar abscess management and outcomes: the Multicentre Audit of Quinsies study.
ENT Trainee Research Collaborative – West Midlands.
J Laryngol Otol. 2016; 130(8):768-76
- Head and neck teratomas in children-A series of 23 cases at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Alexander VR, Manjaly JG, Pepper CM, Ifeacho SN, Hewitt RJ, Hartley BE.
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2015 Dec;79(12):2008-14
- The Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Syndromic Craniosynostosis.
Nash R, Possamai V, Manjaly J, Wyatt M
J Craniofac Surg. 2015 Sep;26(6):1914-6
- Primary cervical ganglioneuroblastoma
Manjaly JG, Alexander VR, Pepper CM, Ifeacho SN, Hewitt RJ, Hartley BE
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2015 Jul;79(7):1007-12
- Delayed Diagnosis of Pharyngeal Perforation following Exploding Tyre Blast Barotrauma.
Field SM, Manjaly JG, Ramdoo SK, Jones HA, Tatla TS
Case Rep Otolaryngol. 2014; 2014:382495
- Delayed presentation of an undiscovered nasopharyngeal foreign body.
Ramdoo K, Manjaly JG, Tatla T.
BMJ Case Rep. 2014 doi: 10.1136/bcr-2014-204246.
- Acute Airway Obstruction Secondary to Vocal Fold Heterotopic Ossification
Jones HA, Manjaly JG, Sandison A, Almeyda JS, Sandhu GS
Head Neck Pathol. 2014; 9(1):96-9
- Who is succeeding at ENT ST3 England National Selection?
Manjaly JG, Radford PD
Ann R Coll Surg Engl (Suppl) 2014; 96 DOI: 10.1308/003588414X13814021676314
Rapid treatment of rhinophyma with powered microdebrider.
Faris C, Manjaly JG, Ismail-Koch H, Caldera S
Case Rep Otolaryngol. 2013;2013:621639
- Cricopharyngeal Dilatation for the Long-term Treatment of Dysphagia in Oculopharyngeal Muscular Dystrophy.
Manjaly JG, Vaughan-Shaw PG, Dale OT, Tyler S, Corlett JC, Frost RA.
Dysphagia. 2012 Jun;27(2):216-20
- Primary meningioma of the middle ear.
Manjaly JG, Watson GM, Jones M.
JRSM Short Rep. 2011 Nov;2(11):92.
- Managing Ménière's disease in the Elderly.
Manjaly JG, Cleave S, Scott RA, Croxson SC
Geriatric Medicine 2011; 41:402-407
- Re: Appraisal of litigation against English Health Trusts in the treatment of adults with ENT pathology
Manjaly JG, Smith HK
Clinical Otolaryngology. 2011 Aug;36(4):393
- Ice in the mouth for epistaxis
Manjaly JG, Konieczny K, Holland NJ
BMJ 2012; 344:e2573
- Improving Dosing of Gentamicin in the Obese Patient.
Manjaly JG, Reece-Smith AM, Sivaloganathan SS, Thuraisamy C, Smallwood KLM, Jonas E, Longman RJ
JRSM Short Rep. 2012; 3(4):25
- Informed Consent in Trauma: Does written information improve patient recall of risks?
A prospective randomised study.
Smith HK, Manjaly JG, Yousri T, Upadhyay N, Nicol S, Livingstone JA
Injury. 2012; 43(9):1534-8
- Thromboprophylaxis in trauma : a review of methods, evidence and guidelines.
Vaughan-Shaw PG, Pavlou P, Manjaly JG, Ward P.
Acta Orthopaedica Belgica 2011;77:1-8
- The endogenous anti-angiogenic family of splice variants of VEGF, VEGFxxxb, are down-regulated in pre-eclamptic placentae at term.
Bates DO, MacMillan PP, Manjaly JG, Qui Y, Hudson SJ, Bevan HS, Hunter AJ, Soothill PW, Read M, Donaldson LF, Harper SJ
Clinical Science 2006; 110(5):575-85