- 2017 - Present: Consultant neurosurgeon, Victor Horsley Department of Neurosurgery, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (Queen Square), University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London
- 2015 - 2017: Consultant neurosurgeon, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Kingston-upon-Hull - specialised in neurovascular, skull base surgery, posterior fossa tumours and endoscopic surgery
- 2014 - 2015: Locum consultant neurosurgeon, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Kingston-upon-Hull
- 2011 - 2014: Specialist in neurosurgery, Central Lisbon Universitary Hospital Centre, Portugal - specialised in vascular, skull base and pituitary (microsurgical and endoscopic), tumours and spine (degenerative and tumours)
- Multiple clinical electives/visiting fellowships: Mayo Clinic, Rochester (USA); Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki (Finland); Instituto de Ciencias Neurologicas de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo (Brazil); International Neuroscience Institute, Hannover (Germany).
- Tutor for UCL Neurosciences - University College London (2017 - present)
- Tutor for Hull and York Medical Students (2015 - 2017)
- Honorary lecturer in neurosurgery - Nova University of Lisbon, Portugal (2011 - 2014)
Neurovascular, skull base, meningiomas, neuroanatomy, general cranial neurosurgery, degenerative spine, peripheral nerves
Latest publications (as senior author):
- Jones JD, Castanho P, Bazira P, Sanders K. Anatomical variations of the circle of Willis and their prevalence, with a focus on the posterior communicating artery: A literature review and meta-analysis. Clin Anat. 2020 Jul 26. doi: 10.1002/ca.23662. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32713011.
- Brown D, Graham C, Smith A, Storey M, Robson C, Maliakal P, Kounin G, Castanho P.Same day embolisation followed by microsurgical resection of brain arteriovenous malformations: a single centre early experience.Br J Neurosurg. 2020 May 18:1-4. doi: 10.1080/02688697.2020.1765972. Online ahead of print.Br J Neurosurg. 2020. PMID: 32419509