Consultant ENT and skull base surgeon - clinical lead for auditory implants
I have completed my higher surgical training in the North Thames region in London in all aspects of elective and emergency otolaryngology. I have trained in different centres of excellence such as Charing Cross, The Royal National ENT & Eastman Dental Hospitals, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (Queen's Square) and the Northwick Park hospitals.
I have experience in all aspects of surgery of the ear, nose and throat. I sub-specialise in the field of cochlear implantation as well as middle ear and mastoid surgery. I have obtained a higher degree (MD) in the field of cochlear implantation. I worked in three cochlear implant centres in the UK.
I am currently a cochlear implant surgeon at the Royal National ENT & Eastman Dental Hospitals/ UCL cochlear implants programme in London. I am also a lateral skull base surgeon at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
Hearing preservation in cochlear implantation
Chronic middle ear disease
• Khalil S, Ogunyemi L, Osborne JE. Middle Cerebral Aneurysm presenting as Isolated Hyperacusis: A Case Report. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, May 2002, 116 (5): 376 – 378.
• Abo-Khatwa M.M., Khalil S, Jones M. B., Zeitoun H. Epiphora: A Rare Presentation of Maxillary Odontogenic Myxoma. IJORL, Volume 3 (Number1)www.ispub.com.
• Khalil S, El-Matary W, Abo-Khatwa M. M. Orbital Infection: A Potential Complication of Paediatric Sinusitis. Review article. CME Bulletin Otolaryngology, 2005;9 (1): 4 – 8.
• Khalil S, Nunez D A. Do Mobile Phones Have a Detrimental Impact on Auditory Functions? Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 2006 Oct; 120(10): 822-826.
• Khalil S, Nunez DA. Paediatric laryngeal papillomatosis. Paediatric Laryngeal Papillomatosis. Journal of ENT Masterclass, 2008, 1: 27-32.
• Khalil S, Butler C, Taghi A, Sandhu G. Management of type III laryngotracheal cleft: an unusual delayed presentation in an adult. (Abstract) Clinical Otolaryngology 34 (Suppl. 1), 94 – 5.
• Butler C, Nouraei SAR , Mace A, Khalil S, Sandhu S. Management of laryngeal sarcoidosis using a novel endoscopic technique. (Abstract) Clinical Otolaryngology 34 (Suppl. 1), 94
• Taghi A, Khalil S, Mace A, Saleh H A. Balloon Sinoplasty; special report. Expert Review of Medical Devices. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2009 Jul;6(4):377-82.
• Endoscopic airway management of laryngeal sarcoidosis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Mar; 136(3): 251-5.
• Awad, Z, Khalil, S, Maini S, Nunez, D.A. Is the UK Contribution to Published Clinical Otolaryngology Research Changing? Bulletin of The Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2010 92, (4), 134-137.
• Mace A D,Taghi A, Khalil S, Sandison A. Ectopic Sequestered Thyroid Tissue: An Unusual Cause of a Mediastinal Mass. ISRN Surgery Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 313626, 5
• Khalil S, Saeed S R. Auditory Brainstem Implants. ENT and Audiology News, March 2012.
• Khalil S, Saeed S R, Bradford R, Quiney R, Thorne L. CSF leak after translabyrinthine excision of vestibular schwannoma: 3 key steps to minimize the incidence. Journal Neurological Surgery – Part B, 2012; Vol 73, p 197.
• Khalil S, Lavy J. Laser stapedotomy using Nitinol SMART Piston: 5 years follow up Results. Abstract Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery,
• Khalil S, Quiney R. Vestibular schwannoma presenting with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Abstract Clinical Otolaryngology, July 2012, 37 (S1): 146
• Khalil S, Lloyd G, Lavy J. Post-stapedotomy hearing with the SMart piston: changes over the first year. Abstract Clinical Otolaryngology, July 2012, 37 (S1): 148
• Khallil S, Saeed H, Siddiqui J, Saeed S R. Audit of the otolaryngology walk-in urgent referral clinic. Abstract Clinical Otolaryngology July 2012, 37 (S1): 54
• Lloyd G, Khalil S, Lavy J. Type III cartilage tympanoplasty in a patient with gross middle and inner ear anomalies. Abstract Clinical Otolaryngology, July 2012, 37 (S1): 161
• Lavy J and Khalil S. Five Years Hearing Results with the Shape Memory Nitinol Stapes Prosthesis. Laryngoscope, 124:2591–2593, 2014.
• Virk J, Kumar G, Khalil S. Ceruminous adenocarcinoma of the ear. Ear Nose & Throat Journal, May 2014
• Virk J, Awad Z, Singh A, Khalil S. Patient expectations in day surgery unit. Clin Otolaryngol. 2014 Dec; 39(6):379-84.
• Lavy J; Huins C; Khali S; Hall A; Hughes O. Comparison of Audiometric and Functional Outcomes Between the Standard and Modified 360 Nitinol Shape Memory Stapes Prostheses. Otology and neurology, 2015 2015 - Volume 36 - Issue 8 - p 1317–1320