I am a consultant gastroenterologist specialising in gastroesophageal reflux disease, Barrett’s oesophagus and gastrointestinal cancer prevention.
I was the lead clinician for upper gastrointestinal cancer at UCLH from 2001-8. I graduated from University College London Medical School in 1987 and obtained my PhD at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital. I was appointed as a consultant gastroenterologist at UCH in 1999 and professor of gastroenterology and biophotonics at UCL in 2014. I previously chaired the North London Cancer Network Upper Gastrointestinal Tumour Board. I am now the clinical director of the WEISS Research Centre at UCL.
I am active in clinical translational research to prevent oesophageal and bowel cancer, with particular interests in artificial intelligence.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease, Barrett’s oesophagus, oesophageal and bowel cancer prevention, artificial Intelligence and Big Data
Most important published papers
1. ICGC/TCGA Pan-Cancer Analysis of Whole Genomes Consortium. Pan-cancer analysis of whole genomes. Nature. 2020 Feb;578(7793):82-93. doi: 10.1038/s41586-020-1969-6. Epub 2020 Feb 5.
2. Secrier M, Li X, de Silva N, Eldridge MD, Contino G, Bornschein J, MacRae S, Grehan N, O'Donovan M, Miremadi A, Yang TP, Bower L, Chettouh H, Crawte J, Galeano-Dalmau N, Grabowska A, Saunders J, Underwood T, Waddell N, Barbour AP, Nutzinger B, Achilleos A, Edwards PA, Lynch AG, Tavaré S, Fitzgerald RC; Oesophageal Cancer Clinical and Molecular Stratification (OCCAMS) Consortium. Mutational signatures in esophageal adenocarcinoma define etiologically distinct subgroups with therapeutic relevance. Nat Genet. 2016 Oct;48(10):1131-41. doi: 10.1038/ng.3659. Epub 2016 Sep 5.
3. Haidry RJ, Dunn JM, Butt MA, Burnell MG, Gupta A, Green S, Miah H, Smart HL, Bhandari P, Smith LA, Willert R, Fullarton G, Morris J, Di Pietro M, Gordon C, Penman I, Barr H, Patel P, Boger P, Kapoor N, Mahon B, Hoare J, Narayanasamy R, O'Toole D, Cheong E, Direkze NC, Ang Y, Novelli M, Banks MR, Lovat LB. Radiofrequency ablation and endoscopic mucosal resection for dysplastic barrett's esophagus and early esophageal adenocarcinoma: outcomes of the UK National Halo RFA Registry. Gastroenterol. 2013 Jul;145(1):87-95. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2013.03.045. Epub 2013 Mar 28.
4. Bird-Lieberman EL, Dunn JM, Coleman HG, Lao-Sirieix P, Oukrif D, Moore CE, Varghese S, Johnston BT, Arthur K, McManus DT, Novelli MR, O'Donovan M, Cardwell CR, Lovat LB, Murray LJ, Fitzgerald RC. Population-based study reveals new risk-stratification biomarker panel for Barrett's esophagus. Gastroenterol. 2012 Oct;143(4):927-35.e3. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2012.06.041. Epub 2012 Jul 3.
5. Bird-Lieberman EL, Neves AA, Lao-Sirieix P, O'Donovan M, Novelli M, Lovat LB, Eng WS, Mahal LK, Brindle KM, Fitzgerald RC. Molecular imaging using fluorescent lectins permits rapid endoscopic identification of dysplasia in Barrett's esophagus. Nat Med. 2012 Jan 15;18(2):315-21. doi: 10.1038/nm.2616.
6. Dunn JM, Mackenzie GD, Oukrif D, Mosse CA, Banks MR, Thorpe S, Sasieni P, Bown SG, Novelli MR, Rabinovitch PS, Lovat LB. Image cytometry accurately detects DNA ploidy abnormalities and predicts late relapse to high-grade dysplasia and adenocarcinoma in Barrett's oesophagus following photodynamic therapy. Br J Cancer. 2010 May 25;102(11):1608-17. doi: 10.1038/sj.bjc.6605688. Epub 2010 May 11.
7. Lovat LB, Johnson K, Mackenzie GD, Clark BR, Novelli MR, Davies S, O'Donovan M, Selvasekar C, Thorpe SM, Pickard D, Fitzgerald R, Fearn T, Bigio I, Bown SG. Elastic scattering spectroscopy accurately detects high grade dysplasia and cancer in Barrett's oesophagus. Gut. 2006 Aug;55(8):1078-83. doi: 10.1136/gut.2005.081497. Epub 2006 Feb 9.
8. Pepys MB, Herbert J, Hutchinson WL, Tennent GA, Lachmann HJ, Gallimore JR, Lovat LB, Bartfai T, Alanine A, Hertel C, Hoffmann T, Jakob-Roetne R, Norcross RD, Kemp JA, Yamamura K, Suzuki M, Taylor GW, Murray S, Thompson D, Purvis A, Kolstoe S, Wood SP, Hawkins PN. Targeted pharmacological depletion of serum amyloid P component for treatment of human amyloidosis. Nature. 2002 May 16;417(6886):254-9. doi: 10.1038/417254a.
9. Gillmore JD, Lovat LB, Persey MR, Pepys MB, Hawkins PN. Amyloid load and clinical outcome in AA amyloidosis in relation to circulating concentration of serum amyloid A protein. Lancet. 2001 Jul 7;358(9275):24-9. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(00)05252-1.
10. Lovat LB, Persey MR, Madhoo S, Pepys MB, Hawkins PN. The liver in systemic amyloidosis: insights from 123I serum amyloid P component scintigraphy in 484 patients. Gut. 1998 May;42(5):727-34. doi: 10.1136/gut.42.5.727.
11. Tennent GA, Lovat LB, Pepys MB. Serum amyloid P component prevents proteolysis of the amyloid fibrils of Alzheimer disease and systemic amyloidosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995 May 9;92(10):4299-303. doi: 10.1073/pnas.92.10.4299.