Professor Michael Ehrenstein is a consultant rheumatologist at UCLH since 1999. His key interests are in new therapies for rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus and other autoimmune rheumatic diseases. He leads the New Therapies Clinic for inflammatory arthritis at UCLH and has established with colleagues the Early Arthritis Clinic to enable rapid access for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Michael studied medicine at the Middlesex Hospital, and trained in rheumatology at the Hammersmith Hospital and Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge.
He was previously an MRC clinician scientist at Cambridge University and the Laboratory of Molecular Biology. He was awarded a PhD at UCL on the pathogenesis of autoimmune rheumatic disease. He has undertaken many roles for NHS England, the British Society for Rheumatology, charities and universities within the realm of rheumatology and advised licensing authorities (MHRA) and commissioners regarding new therapies for arthritis.
Rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus
- Yeoh S-A, Ehrenstein MR. Are treat-to-target and dose tapering strategies for rheumatoid arthritis possible during the COVID-19 pandemic? The Lancet Rheumatology. 2020;2:e454-e6.
- Gupta RK, Shipa M, Yeoh SA, Buck P, Ehrenstein MR. An unfavourable outcome following switching intravenous abatacept and tocilizumab to subcutaneous forms during the COVID-19 pandemic Rheumatology (Oxford). 2020: In press.
- Greenwood M, Shipa M, Yeoh SA, Roussou E, Mukerjee D, Ehrenstein MR. Methotrexate reduces withdrawal rates of TNF inhibitors due to ineffectiveness in rheumatoid arthritis but only in patients who are seropositive Ann Rheum Dis. 2020: May 28.
- Jones A, Muller P, Dore CJ, Ikeji F, Caverly E, Chowdhury K, Isenberg DA, Gordon C, Ehrenstein MR. Belimumab after B cell depletion therapy in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (BEAT Lupus) protocol: a prospective multicentre, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, 52-week phase II clinical trial BMJ Open. 2019;9:e032569.
- Nguyen DX, Cotton A, Attipoe L, Ciurtin C, Dore CJ, Ehrenstein MR. Regulatory T cells as a biomarker for response to adalimumab in rheumatoid arthritis J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2018;142:978-80.
- Ezeonyeji A, Baldwin H, Vukmanovic-Stejic M, Ehrenstein MR. CD4 T-Cell Dysregulation in Psoriatic Arthritis Reveals a Regulatory Role for IL-22 Frontiers in Immunology. 2017;8:1403.
- Nguyen DX, Ehrenstein MR. Anti-TNF drives regulatory T cell expansion by paradoxically promoting membrane TNF-TNF-RII binding in rheumatoid arthritis J Exp Med. 2016;213:1241-53.
- Ehrenstein MR, Wing C. The BAFFling effects of rituximab in lupus: danger ahead? Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2016;12:367-72.
- Rapetti L, Chavele KM, Evans CM, Ehrenstein MR. B cell resistance to Fas-mediated apoptosis contributes to their ineffective control by regulatory T cells in rheumatoid arthritis Ann Rheum Dis. 2015;74:294-302.
- Chavele KM, Merry E, Ehrenstein MR. Cutting Edge: Circulating Plasmablasts Induce the Differentiation of Human T Follicular Helper Cells via IL-6 Production Journal of Immunology. 2015;194:2482-5.
- Carter LM, Isenberg DA, Ehrenstein MR. Elevated serum BAFF levels are associated with rising anti-double-stranded DNA antibody levels and disease flare following B cell depletion therapy in systemic lupus erythematosus Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:2672-9.
- McGovern JL, Nguyen DX, Notley CA, Mauri C, Isenberg DA, Ehrenstein MR. Th17 cells are restrained by Treg cells via the inhibition of interleukin-6 in patients with rheumatoid arthritis responding to anti-tumor necrosis factor antibody therapy Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:3129-38.
- Jury EC, Flores-Borja F, Kalsi HS, Lazarus M, Isenberg DA, Mauri C, Ehrenstein MR. Abnormal CTLA-4 function in T cells from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:569-78